Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I need help in reinstalling XP

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 lbandbuggy

lbandbuggy

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 AM

Posted 18 September 2011 - 08:45 AM

Ok, this is my first post (hi) and I am hoping for major help! I am not very computer literate, but I will try to explain in detail what I need to do. I will start by saying that I have already paid Best Buy $150 for an external hard drive, and they have already saved all of my pictures and files on it, so I don't have to worry about that. I have also paid Dell $250 for tech support, and sent them my laptop, and they replaced the hard drive and operating system. The problem is that I received the laptop back, and they loaded Vista Business on it. I use XP!

I have some disks that Dell sent me prior to having to send the laptop away. I have a Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 Reinstallation CD, and I also have a Drivers and Utilities disk they sent. I would like to know, in detail, exactly how to replace the Windows Vista that they installed with the XP and Drivers disks that I have. I'm thinking it should be fairly simple, but I'm sure there are a few specific things that I will need to do that may not be self explanatory, and I don't want to ruin the laptop again!

I absolutely have not done anything to the computer since I got it back from them yesterday - the only thing I did was turn it on, saw that it popped up Windows Vista installed instead of Windows XP.

If anyone can help me, it would be so great! I have already invested $400 in trying to save this laptop, and I don't want to have to pay more to get the proper OS installed (which it should have been when I received it back from Dell - but don't get me started - and let's say this will be the LAST time I buy anything from Dell b/c their tech service leaves ALOT to be desired)

Thank you in advance for help, if anyone can!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2011 - 09:50 AM

Since you paid DELL all that cash, I would definately ring them on the tele to get this sorted.
As for reinstalling XP, it should be as easy as popping the XP disk into the CD/DVD drive and running the full recovery option. You may have to boot from the XP recovery disk to effect the install. After XP installs, run the driver and application CD.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,562 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2011 - 11:01 AM

As suggested...if Dell messed up...you simply need to contact them, rather than trying to resolve it yourself.

Louis

#4 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 AM

Posted 18 September 2011 - 11:23 AM

Hello ibandbuggy,

It's worth a try to see if Dell will restore the laptop to Windows XP without charge.

If not, here is a step by step: How to Remove Microsoft Vista and replace it with Windows XP.

Once Windows XP is installed, it is good practice to install the drivers, chipset first, then LAN drivers followed by all the other drivers from the Drivers DVD. I would then look for updates for those drivers on the Dell site. Next, install antivirus software then all Microsoft Service Packs and Updates.

Good luck.

Regards,
Brooks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users