Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

installing a new OS

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Reio

Reio

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 AM

Posted 18 September 2011 - 04:24 AM

Hi my name is Paul, and i am very new to website and not use to looking for answers this way. But i recently bought a refurbished harddrive online and i can't get an Operating system to stick. I have a burnt copy of windows xp, and a windows xp upgrade. It doesn't recognize the prior OS on it cause its blank. I had a friend format it for me, so it has a partition on it(Don't know if that does any good though). My question is Can you use or go through the recovery Console to add the operating system with what i have? Or do i have togo and just buy the whole thing. I'm just trying to save as much money as i can and not go that route if i don't have to. Thanks for your time and patients.

Moved from System Building to XP forum ~ Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 20 September 2011 - 12:18 PM.
Post moved to more appropriate forum.jgw

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 AM

Posted 18 September 2011 - 05:04 PM

Windows XP is pure garbage these days with Windows 7 out, but the install procedure of XP onto a clean machine is similar at its core. You need a full non-upgrade copy of Windows XP with a product key. You put the CD into the drive and restart the computer, follow the prompts to get it to work. Make sure the copy of Windows you are using is a new. If you are using the same disc from a PC built by an OEM like HP, Dell, etc., those will not work. Also, due to licensing restrictions, you cannot reuse the copy of Windows over again unless it is a full boxed retail version. The Windows Vista and 7 install procedure is more hands off, just tell it where to install and off it goes. You can buy a copy of Windows 7 Home Premium for about $99, or, if you are part of a university or business, you may be eligible for free or reduced copies.

When you say you have a burned copy of Windows XP, how did you get it? Is it a copy of an original CD, a burned ISO image of the opersting system, or did you just copy the Windows directory onto a disc from an original PC?

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users