Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

M$ wants to install non-applicable update

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,574 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 PM

Posted 17 September 2011 - 10:14 PM

I just ran September Microsoft updates. One of them was for Office 2010 file validation, whatever that is. I deselected it because I use Office 2003 not 2010. Here is the description:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2553065

After all the other updates came in and I rebooted, there's this yellow shield telling me about the update. I uncheck the box, close the dialog, and it's still here pesting me.

Two questions
1. am I really supposed to install it?
2. if not, how do I get rid of the nag in the shield short of the usual - shut off the service - but that won't help next time I enable updating, where I might permit it by mistake.

Edit: There is a related link, which does mention Office 2003
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2501584
But the list of what will NOT work in Excel is something I can't accept since I use those functions. So I really have to NOT EVER install. Please, advise! :)

Edited by tos226, 17 September 2011 - 10:21 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,963 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2011 - 02:54 AM

I don't know if you actually need the update or not, but as for the other question:

Do you do updates automatically or manually? If manually, choose Custom, then remove the unwanted update from the install list, then click on the box that says: Do not show me this update again.

You will get a notice at the top of the update list that you've hidden "important" updates each time you do your updates in future, but that's the only thing you'll see. I think. I never do automatic updates, so I don't know how that feature behaves when you've hidden "important" updates.

Orange Blossom :cherry:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#3 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,574 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2011 - 11:12 AM

I think when you do automatic, you have no way to intervene.

I only do Manual. To do that, describing my gory details, I have to turn on Auto update and BITS services. Then in the firewall I have to allow IE and svchost to go internet. Then I run the update and after it connects and checks computer for updates, on the list I uncheck the one I didn't want. No problem up to here.

But now I reboot with the two services still running. Guess what Windows does. It downloads the freaking update and puts on the yellow shield. I click it and don't install. So now I've shut off the Security Center service and the 2 services, and it's quiet, but I know it'll come back to haunt me.

Last entries in windows\softwareDistribution ReportingEvents.log haven't changed yet :)

AutomaticUpdates Success Content Install Reboot completed.
{C9941B08-77E0-4549-8D7A-EC28C2656A4D} 2011-09-17 22:52:35:859-0400 1 162 101 {EB7A169F-6BCA-4E00-A52A-623C063C162D} 102 0 AutomaticUpdates Success Content Download Download succeeded.
{627715C3-99D5-41CD-990B-616AC4E0466C} 2011-09-17 22:52:35:859-0400 1 188 102 {00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000} 0 0 AutomaticUpdates Success Content Install Installation Ready: The following updates are downloaded and ready for installation. This computer is currently scheduled to install these updates on Sunday, September 18, 2011 at 3:00 AM: - Update for Office File Validation 2010 (KB2553065), 32-bit Edition

I'd ditch that {C9941B08...} but can't find it, and don't really want to confuse windows.
That installation schedule hasn't kicked in because I've got all that shutoff, so that's very good news.

For manual updates - can I use some better procedure? What do you do? I'm on XP.

Please, OB, stick around. I'll try to check and do few things and will report back in couple hours.

#4 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,963 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2011 - 12:24 PM

Hello there,

For the updates that have been downloaded but not installed, I don't remember the folder Windows Updates downloads those to. I recall having to remove some because of borked updates. See if this will remove them:

Start ==> Programs ==> Accessories ==> System Tools ==> Disk Cleanup

It will check the disc for stuff to clean which will take a bit of time. When it's finished doing that, you'll get a window of options with two tabs on it.

On the Disc Cleanup Tab, which should be showing by default, you'll see several options. Before selecting anything to clean up, you need to make sure you don't have anything in the folder that you need to keep! So, working from the top down, click on each time then down below, click on View Files. That will show you the contents of the folder in question. If there's anything you want to keep, you can move it elsewhere temporarily making sure you keep a note of where you moved it from. Check the things you want cleaned. Do NOT choose Compress old files. In my case I also do NOT choose Office Setup Files. That way, if I need to fix the office installation, the files are already on the computer and I don't need to hunt up my installation disc. You can explore the second tab More Options just to see what's there. In any case, once you have chosen everything, click Okay. You'll get a confirmation window, click on Okay (or Yes) there as well. I think this will get rid of the downloaded but not installed updates. I'm not sure though.

Setting up Automatic Updates to manual:

The Windows Update service needs to be kept running and set at automatic, unless you really want to enable it every time you do updates. BITS should be set to Manual. You disable Automatic Updates this way on Windows XP:

Start ==> Control Panel ==> Security Center

Under Manage Security Settings, click on Automatic Updates. Another window will pop open in which you can select Turn Off Automatic Updates. Then click Apply.

To keep the crazy security shield from squawking that you've got Automatic Updates disabled, on the Windows Security window on the left hand side under Resources, the last item listed is "Change the way Security Center alerts me". Click on that. Another small window will open up. In that, remove the check mark by Automatic Updates and click okay. Then go ahead and close the Windows Security Center window.

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#5 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,574 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2011 - 09:21 PM

OB, I don't understand why I should be doing cleanup on what I consider clean computer. So I didn't do it.

I started SecurityService. Sure enough the update still there ready for installation. I unchecked it, and indeed, there is a "don't ask me again" message after I clicked either Cancel or Close :) :) And it's now in the hidden category, someplace. Thanks, OB.

Later, just to see how things will be in the future, I started the update process, and after all that "Checking your computer..." , it synchronized the information and the screen had a prominent notice - "you've hidden important updates ... Restore them now".
While I had no intention of installing the KB2553065-Office10 update yet, I clicked that Restore button, deselected, and it's still in the hidden category.
So at least Windows knows where the file is, tells you about it in the next session, and is willing to install. Pretty cool process, IMO.

Now, back to the main topic. I still don't know if I should or not install that KB2553065.

#6 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,963 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2011 - 10:45 PM

I suggested the disc cleanup as a means of getting rid of the downloaded but not yet installed update files. Here's a picture of what the interface looks like:

Posted Image

You can see by the scroll bar that there are more options below what are shown in the image. Essentially, disc cleanup is used to get rid of temporary files, downloaded program files, and other stuff. You can also use it to purge your system restore points. That option is on the second tab I mentioned.

As for the update in question:

It looks to be something that checks to see if a office document is a valid one by checking binary data; however, I also see that it's not fool-proof. Not by a long shot, in particular concerning Excel documents.

Personally, I think if you are careful about which office documents you open and scan them first with your AV and Malware scanner before opening, this update is probably unnecessary.

Orange Blossom

#7 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,574 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2011 - 03:45 PM

Many, many thanks OB :)
Thanks for that screen shot.
No, nothing in the \downloaded other than few java things. And not much to cleanup. The only one of a substantial size is Office setup files. For now I'll leave'm alone.

So, I'll just let Windows manage it, now that I know it will not install without my permission.
I suspect that those loooooong hex {keys} could be found in the registry and maybe even tell where the file is, but me fiddling with it would likely do damage. I saw how yesterday they were synchronizing, and if a I mess up their index I'd end up being very sorry.

Thanks also for peeking into the M$ articles. I'll hold off for a bit. I must NOT break Excel, ever :)

For now, consider the problem resolved, and thanks again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users