Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IBM m51g MB info. Are you looking for a challenge?

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 megalo

megalo

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 AM

Posted 17 September 2011 - 08:31 PM

This is a challenge because I'm looking for help with an 8 year old motherboard, the IBM M51G. The power supply crapped out and considering that it used a non-standard power supply I thought that it would be easier to replace the PSU and the case in one go. I did that and have since encountered several problems. The first is with the power on/off switch. The pins on the motherboard are not labeled so I can't connect the pins on the new case in the correct spots. The second problem is that windows doesn't load automatically. When turning on the system the bios does all the normal things that it does, but it stops on a screen that displays the system specs. It'll just sit there. I can't enter the BIOS from this screen, I can't type anything. The only thing I can do is turn it off. However, I can still load windows manually by hitting F12 during startup to go to the boot menu. From this list I can select hard drive and windows will begin to load. The third problem is that windows will freeze while loading normally or into Safe Mode (with networking). Windows will load when I choose Safe Mode (I've backed up whatever I could onto an external HDD).

Here are two resources I've found online. The first is to the IBM support page for the motherboard. The second is to an online store that still has an entry for the motherboard (it's not for sale). Halp!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users