Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is my PC Clean?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 beeej

beeej

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 AM

Posted 17 September 2011 - 03:42 PM

My son's PC has been hit by a worm a couple of times. Each time, I was able to remove it using Malwarebytes and/or Spybot S&D and/or TDSS Killer and/or Microsoft Security Essentials and/or rkill and/or aswMBR and maybe a few others (Hitman?).

This time, after cleaning, I can’t access the Internet. Device Manager shows the USB connected wireless adapter. When I show “Network Connections”, I see my home network. It says it is connected. However, when I open my browser, there is no Internet. When I try to update antivirus definitions, the applications cannot connect to the ’net to update.

Here are the things. When I open Task Manager and choose the Networking tab to see if there is traffic, I see a big gray box that says “No Active Network Adapters Found”. And, MSE is not running. When I hit the big red “Start Now” button in MSE, I get a message that reads, “Couldn’t start the Security Essentials service. Access is denied Click help for more information about this problem. Error Code 0x80070005”

Earlier worms would not let me run the antivirus programs. I am wondering if I have really eliminated it. I have tried uninstalling the network drivers, and I have installed newest versions to try to reconnect the adapter. No help.

I am not sure if the PC is clean. A networking site said that I did the right things about installing a new driver, and that the problem may be a residual infection. How can I tell if the PC is really clean?

The PC is running Windows XP, Media Center SP3.

I have other PC’s at home that are working fine, connected to the ‘net. Any help or ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 AM

Posted 17 September 2011 - 04:01 PM

Can you post the logs from Malwarebytes, SPybot, and TDSSKiller via another computer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users