Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sudden Reboot During Video Payback

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 drshi

drshi

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 PM

Posted 17 September 2011 - 02:54 PM

I downloaded a Hollywood movie in 5 segments from YouTube but the print was very dark, so I ran each of the clips through VirtualDub just to brighten them. Then, I joined them all together and now -- when I watch the .avi movie on the Media Player -- every time it comes to where the first two clips were joined -- my computer suddenly reboots!

Iíve tried this twice and gotten the same result: two loud clicks, then a reboot as if there's been a brief power outage. I can probably fix the glitch by editing out the problem joint before I burn it, but I'd like to get at least some idea of how simply watching a video could cause such a weird phenom. Seems to be a non sequitur.

Thanks for any feedback you care to give me,

xp sp3

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,379 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 AM

Posted 17 September 2011 - 05:48 PM

My guess would be that...it's the relationship of Media Player to Windows. It's an integral part, so a hiccup that would normally just crash the application...might result in Windows rebooting.

Just guessing :).

It could be your display drivers that are crashing, I suppose.

I play around with editing graphics files...never had anything shut Windows down, normally the result of bad data will freeze the app that I'm using to edit.

You could try running it in WMM...if there's an unreadable part, it should freeze WMM.

You could also take a look in Event Viewer and see the detail that is captured there when the reboot occurs.

It could also indicate hard drive/partition fragmentation, I suppose. Fragmented data should cause a hiccup of some type, but not a system shutdwon.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 17 September 2011 - 05:48 PM.

#3 drshi

drshi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 PM

Posted 22 September 2011 - 06:03 PM

Thanks, Louis --

The reason I've taken so long to reply is that I wanted to first check the MS forum to find out what their "Masters" would opine. Result: Bupkus. The only guess proffered was video card overload -- at the same exact place in the movie every time -- in which there is no action -- and with no problem running it on other players. At first I thought the reboot was occurring at the joint between two clips, but it turned out to be before that, at a specific frame.

Maybe I should isolate that frame and have it autopsied. Could be a mankind-threatening plague.

Thanks again for at least giving it thought and offering some off-top-of-your-heads.

Best,
Rob

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users