Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Please rate this security combo

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 emudryj

emudryj

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 PM

Posted 17 September 2011 - 11:41 AM

After a google redirect infection on my MBR, I'm getting paranoid about security...
I thought I was fine before, because I had a paid subscription to McAfee.
Now I know that not only one needs AV, but also antispyware, antimalware, firewall, etc....

I bought a subscription to Malwarebytes Antimalware, because Everybody seems to agree that it's a great tool.

I had to re-format the PC and star from scratch. New install of Win 7, updated, Mcafee AV, and Malwarebytes Antimalware.

The computer was locking up every so often. The problem was between McAfee and Malwarebytes. As soon as I unloaded one, EVERYTHING was fine.

I read some not so good reviews about McAfee so I decided to come up with this suite of programs to protect my PC. Please let me know what you think.

Avast as the AntiVirus Free edition
Malwarebytes Antimalware Paid subscription
SuperantiSpyware Free edition
Comodo Firewall

Also, would it be worth it to pay a subscription for any of the free ones mentioned above?

Thanks in advance!!!

Edited by emudryj, 17 September 2011 - 11:56 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 emudryj

emudryj
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2011 - 10:03 AM

Aparently nobody has an opinion.....

maybe if I ask more direct questions somebody would feel more inclined to answer...

1- would any of these interfere or not be compatible with any of the others mentioned?
2- Would you preffer to use any other AV? if yes why?
3- Would you preffer to use any other antimalware? if yes why?
4- Would you preffer to use any other antispyware? if yes why?
5- Would you preffer to use any other firewall? if yes why?
6-other than Malwarebytes that I have the subscription already.... would you buy the subscription for one or more of the other ones?

I'm considering implementing this combo (after refinement from suggestions on this thread) on the 6-7 PC I have on my work network.

Thanks in advance, again.

#3 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2011 - 01:01 PM

The error between McAfee and MBAM is common. Running any two antiviruses at once will usually cause system lock-ups or an all out war between the two anti viruses.

I know you paid for McAfee and it always pains me a little when I see that. In my own personal experience McAfee is junk.

MBAM is a fantastic tool for finding and removing Malware. But I do not know how well it does for a proactive defense.

Generally their are three components you will want to have top notch security.

1. Active Defense AV.

Something on the front end, it will end up doing most of the work. It keeps a eye on any downloads or files on the system for anything malicious. Your Pro version of MBAM has this so I would imagine it would do a excellent job with this.

2. Firewall

This will monitor the traffic between your programs and the internet. It will keep an eye on what is connecting out and alert you asking if you want to allow/deny the action. It may also point out signatures of programs that have changed when connecting too the internet. For example, if the Windows Explorer process got attacked and swapped out for a virus based Windows Explorer the firewall would know the difference and point it out when it tries to send or receive data. Zone Alarm and Comodo are examples of firewalls. I do not know too much about either of them as I do not use a separate firewall.

3. Browser Security, Browsing habits!!

Most viruses don't just get on there out of the blue. It may be a pain in the butt but you have to keep an eye on pretty much everything. Don't click links that look suspicious, don't download random attachments. I've seen a mutating file disquise it self as a harmless .png file. Some how it changed into an .exe when downloaded and went too town.

Stay off suspicious sites. Torrents, warez, cracks, "Free music" Anything of that nature. Some of it may be "legit" to a degree *cough* but when it comes to viruses they are prime targets.

Personally; I use Kaspersky Pure. Monitors my whole network, puts up a firewall and excellent proactive defense.

Just remember, their is no such thing as perfect security. Even legit sites get hacked and viruses will get downloaded. I believe their were a few instances on my space where the ads were downloading trojans onto peoples computers.
If I am helping you and I do not respond within 24 hours, please send me a PM. :)

#4 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,578 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 PM

Posted 20 September 2011 - 03:53 PM

Good antivirus products such as Avast! or Avira watch for spyware.
I do scan with MBAM or SAS, perhaps twice a year and they find NOTHING.

A good software firewall is essential just in case I download or a driveby download happens and the scumware would want to call home. But most likely AV would catch it in the first place. I've seen that happen several times.

Running as an non-administrator user is a very good idea, albeit extremly inconvenient on XP.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,953 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 PM

Posted 20 September 2011 - 04:51 PM

If any conflicts between Malwarebytes and another security program are reported, suggested solutions are usually provided in the Common Issues, Questions, and their Solutions, FAQs thread. I know and have worked with some members of the research team so I can attest that they make every effort to resolve issues as quickly as possible.

There is always the option to use Windows built-in Firewall.

Common sense, safe computing and safe surfing habits is essential to protecting yourself from malware infection. No amount of security software is going to defend against today's sophisticated malware writers for those who do not practice these principles and stay informed. Knowledge and the ability to use it is the best defensive tool anyone could have. This includes educating yourself as to the most common ways malware is contracted and spread as well as prevention.

Edited by quietman7, 20 September 2011 - 04:57 PM.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#6 emudryj

emudryj
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2011 - 12:06 PM

Thanks a lot to EVERYBODY!!!!
My main concern was compatibility issues among those products and level of coverage about different types of threats.

I agree with Quietman7 that no matter how much security soft you have, if your surfing and computing practices are reckless, you WILL get infected sooner or later, but on the same token... even though you could be the safest, most careful, and security aware user, without any or the proper security software you CAN still get infected, and you will be sooner or later.

The other option would be to unplug the network and power cable of the PC, but thatís not very funy...LOL

Going back to the original topic, I understand that my choice of tools seems to be adequate (nobody mentioned that I would need anything else or that I would be unprotected from known type of threats), compatible (nobody said anything about collisions or known problems among the mentioned tools), and over all effective (my research indicates that all these tools are well known for being effective, reputable, and popular. Nobody mentioned anything to the contrary).

Ok... thanks once again for your time and advice...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users