Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New SATA Hard Drive. No boot device available

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 csmith94

csmith94

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 PM

Posted 17 September 2011 - 11:12 AM

My older hard drive failed so I replaced it with a WD Blue Caviar Sata drive but when I boot it says no boot device available. What exactly are the drivers that I need for the Hard Drive? On the Wd website I only see diagnostic tools & burned the iso to a dvd but it will not boot from a cd.
Dell Dimension e310

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 AM

Posted 17 September 2011 - 11:22 AM

You will need to set up the CD-ROM / DVD-ROM To be the first boot device. There are no special drivers needed for a hard drive.

You will then need a bootable CD / DVD that contains the Windows Installation Media.

Edited by cryptodan, 17 September 2011 - 11:22 AM.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,287 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 PM

Posted 17 September 2011 - 12:48 PM

I would also go into the BIOS...and ensure that the drive is properly detected/reflected...and that BIOS settings do not reflect SATA mode of operation.

May come in handy, http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim3100/en/sm/index.htm AND http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim3100/en/sm/syssetup.htm#wp1057460 .

You want the RAID/Autodetect/ATA setting for the SATA operation BIOS screen, I think.

Louis

#4 csmith94

csmith94
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2011 - 01:03 PM

I already tried setting the CD/DVD as the first boot device. the drive is detected & is on Raid autodetect

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 AM

Posted 17 September 2011 - 03:25 PM

See if ACHI is available or if that doesn't work check for Legacy IDE.

#6 csmith94

csmith94
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2011 - 09:55 PM

Thanks for the help. I just took a guess and used the DVD drive from my other desktop Pc & it installed Xp with no problems. Now I just need to upgrade my RAM of 504MB so I can update to Windows 7 or Vista

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users