Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Media Center v Professional

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 bullfrog65

bullfrog65

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 AM

Posted 17 September 2011 - 07:33 AM

Picked up a backdoor trojan and the advice given was a format and re-install.
Mod Edit: MRL topic at http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic418156.html/page__p__2402001#entry2402001 ~ Hamluis.

I have my original Recovery Disks from many many years ago. (2004/5) for my Windows Media Center PC.
In that time I know there have been many releases of SPs and bug fixes.
I was pointed to a thread to create a slipstream version with the service packs integrated.
However, the machine came with no separate OS disc - The only things I have are the recovery disk (a recovery tools disc too) and a separate standalone copy of Windows XP Pro (gotta find that disk) that I acquired many years afterward.

If I were to use the XP Pro - what features/functionality that came with Media Center would stop working (not that I necessarily use those today)
Also what drivers/tools/features native to the HP machine wouldn't work - or would all that be retrievable from the HP site.

And if there is a question I should be asking, but haven't - ask it for me and answer it!

Thank you all.

Edited by hamluis, 17 September 2011 - 08:08 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,760 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 AM

Posted 17 September 2011 - 11:29 AM

One of the issues with Media Center Edition is that this is the only XP offspring in which you can't created slipstreamed CD, so troubleshooting-wise you'll do better with straight XP Pro.
There are no features you'll miss. MCE is still XP Pro.

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,435 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 AM

Posted 17 September 2011 - 11:41 AM

Any drivers for XP will be available at the HP website...unless they have done their "spring housecleaning" and removed the drivers from normal access. Some OEMs seem to do that at a given point.

Louis

#4 bullfrog65

bullfrog65
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2011 - 02:17 PM

Broni - Thanks again! Looks like even with all your efforts, what ails my PC involves risks beyond a removal and cleanup.
Hamluis/Louis - Appreciate adding back the link to the prior thread - that one links back to the one Broni helped me in.

I'll attempt to create the slipstream XP version. My XP Pro CDs are from the mid-2000s...I'll be using a Windows 7 laptop to do this - I'm presuming that won't be an issue....

Thank you both.

Now on a mission to find all my original application disks - or as many as I can locate.

#5 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,760 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2011 - 02:19 PM

You're very welcome Posted Image

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

#6 .X.

.X.

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 PM

Posted 17 September 2011 - 11:22 PM

I'll attempt to create the slipstream XP version. My XP Pro CDs are from the mid-2000s...I'll be using a Windows 7 laptop to do this - I'm presuming that won't be an issue....

If you are slipstreaming a Service Pack, yes it will. You product key will not be accepted if the slipstreaming is done under Vista or Windows 7. You can however run a VM running XP on W7 to do your work. I'm presuming you are using nLite?

XP SP3 Product key under Vista/Windows 7

Edited by .X., 18 September 2011 - 03:07 AM.

#7 bullfrog65

bullfrog65
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2011 - 08:30 AM

Posting deleted - I had posted a tutorial question/problem - my error - put the XP CD contents in a subfolder.....fixed that - integration step completed - now working on burning disk

Disk burned - All patches and fixes after SP3 still would need to be downloaded after the PC is formatted and reinstalled - correct?

So is there a thread that speaks to that activity - reformatting, reinstalling, etc?
Should I run Kill Disk on the hard drive 1st to ensure the trojan (and everything else) is obliterated before reinstalling XP off the new CD?

Edited by bullfrog65, 18 September 2011 - 09:18 AM.

#8 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,760 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2011 - 10:20 AM

Formatting will kill everything.

Manual: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html

My Website

#9 .X.

.X.

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2011 - 01:47 PM

Disk burned - All patches and fixes after SP3 still would need to be downloaded after the PC is formatted and reinstalled - correct?

Not if you use nLite and my UDC script and then add the updates/add-ons to the Hotfix, Add-ons and Update Packs section of nLite.

Did you read my post about problems with the product key being rejected when slipstreaming a service pack under Vista/W7?

#10 bullfrog65

bullfrog65
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2011 - 02:57 PM

Sorry .x. - I did not - when I was having issues with W7, I shifted to my work laptop which runs XP Pro and did the process there using the command line instructions.

Since I still have all the pieces let me go read that post now.
I was out teaching my 16 yr old how to parallel park and back into a parking spot....thinking the PC issues are actually more challenging!

Thanks again.

Edited by bullfrog65, 18 September 2011 - 02:59 PM.

#11 bullfrog65

bullfrog65
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2011 - 04:38 PM

The XP intall was already underway - so I let it run its course - now I have it up - but w/o the hotfixes, etc subsequent to SP3.
I have no Antivirus s/w installed (the firewall is on as is Automatic updates)
But I have not yet plugged into the Internet.
I could move over a copy of Malwarebytes from this laptop and/or something else - any suggestions or recommendations? I have a bunch of available Norton licenses (from my Turbotax rebates) - 1 Norton 360 v4, 3 2011 Norton Internet Security and 1 2011 Norton AV - only the 360 has been registered (on 2 of the 3 machines).
Should I venture to the internet and get the updates or can I grab them still from .x.'s site? The link Broni provided seemed to suggest getting the updates before putting on an AV product - that just seems risky - but that's my own inexperienced thought.

I'm guessing I need to change the router password(s) and not use the same user id passwords on my PC. Since I have a few others with the same IDs - and currently the same password - are all those machines too at risk and should all the passwords be changed?

Sorry - this is not my area of expertise - I'm not incapable, just not an expert and looking to avoid re-exposing my machine (and embarrassed as hell that I got infected in the first place)

Thanks as always.

#12 .X.

.X.

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2011 - 04:52 PM

Get the updates from Windows Update. The downloader on my site is more for creating a fully patched CD before install.

I guess it's better to be safe than sorry but you seem to be a over paranoid. I've been running without AV since 1996 and have only been infected twice. I wouldn't recommend it for the average person though. Just do a Windows Update. You'll be fine. Then install Microsoft Security Essentials would be my recommendation. I hate Norton.

Edited by .X., 18 September 2011 - 04:53 PM.

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,435 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 AM

Posted 18 September 2011 - 05:53 PM

Get the updates from Windows Update. The downloader on my site is more for creating a fully patched CD before install.

I guess it's better to be safe than sorry but you seem to be a over paranoid. I've been running without AV since 1996 and have only been infected twice. I wouldn't recommend it for the average person though. Just do a Windows Update. You'll be fine. Then install Microsoft Security Essentials would be my recommendation. I hate Norton.

IMO...it's never good advice to suggest to anyone...that running a system without an AV program (or any of the other basic defense mechanisms)...is something that should be tried or done.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users