Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ERROR - Computer Needs to restart

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Wooster

Wooster

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 PM

Posted 17 September 2011 - 05:54 AM

I am using virtual box to run windows 8, but I get as far as the "Windows Developer Preview" screen and then it say "Restart the computer" with a few error codes. I have attached a Picture of the window.

Does anyone know how to fix this problem

thanks, wooster

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 PM

Posted 17 September 2011 - 09:20 AM

System specs, both Guest & Host? Did you use a guide? If so, which one? Hardware virtualization enabled in BIOS?

Let us know, meanwhile.... I suggest you double check & verify that hardware virtualization is enabled in the BIOS:

Support: Configure BIOS for Hardware Assisted Virtualization (HAV) PCs http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/support/configure-bios.aspx
Microsoft® Hardware-Assisted Virtualization Detection Tool http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=592

Edited by Union_Thug, 17 September 2011 - 09:20 AM.

#3 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2011 - 11:35 AM

Same error codes as yours,Caused by Hardware Virtualization disabled

Guru meditation with Windows 8 Developer Preview http://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/9599
Hi!

I have downloaded the Windows 8 Developer Preview English ISO image, 32-bit (x86) version (from http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/apps/br229516) While booting the ISO image it gave a message saying that my machine had to be restarted (on the guest side) and a guru meditation error. Log and screenshot are attached.

Try to increase the RAM size to at least 1.5GB.
2011-09-14 19:25:55 changed by naoliv

Fails the same way with 1.5GB or 2 GB.
2011-09-15 10:15:53 changed by frank

Try to enabled AMD-V (hardware virtualization) in your machine BIOS. The hardware extension is disabled for some reason. With hardware virtualization the changes are much better to get it work.
2011-09-17 13:29:33 changed by fulviods

after some research, i found that my acer 1825ptz have an Intel U4100 processor and i discovered that it doesnt have virtualization!! :( thats why it doesnt work!! there is another way to make it work? thanks

#4 Wooster

Wooster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2011 - 11:46 AM

thanks for getting back

I have a Hp G72 series laptop with Win 7 Home Premium 64 Bit, with 3Gb ram and 2 GHZ dual core processor.

I opened the BIOS at start and noticed an option for virtulization technology which was disabled so i enabled it and tried running Windows 8 but still no luck.

I have used two tools the one you specified and another one to check for hardware virtulization and they both said i dont have it, even though there was an option in the BIOS.

Any thoughts and is there a way around this.

Thanks again,

Wooster

#5 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2011 - 12:18 PM

>>Any thoughts and is there a way around this<<

I've seen guides to using other OS's in VM's without HAV, but Win 8...I'd say no way Jose, but don't quote me on it. Besides, with only 3 gb RAM I'd say you'd really be pushing your PC's limits IF you could even get Win 8 to run at all--your computer needs to be able to support your current operating system + all its processes + VirtualBox + Windows 8 all at the same time. FWIW, I ran the 32 bit Win 8 with V-Box inside a 64 bit host with 8gb, gave the VM 2.5 gb & it ran HORRIBLY...

YMMV, Google is your friend.

Edited by Union_Thug, 17 September 2011 - 12:18 PM.

#6 Wooster

Wooster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2011 - 12:33 PM

thanks for the help, I shall consult Google.

Ii did come across me that 3Gb ram might not be enough, but hey it was worth a try.

thanks again

Wooster

#7 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2011 - 12:56 PM

You're welcome. :) Post back & let us know if you come up with a solution.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users