Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Shuts Down During WEI or Gamplay

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 tristenkw5

tristenkw5

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 PM

Posted 17 September 2011 - 12:39 AM

I just got a new laptop, a Lenovo y460p (Windows 7 64-Bit), and when I first ran the Windows Experience Index the laptop crashed and simply turned off. After a few tries with the same result, I googled around for a solution and found it was a common problem, but had many possible solutions. It seems to be a problem with Windows' interacting with the graphics card, in my case an AMD Radeon 6550M. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling and updating the drivers, both through the AMD site and via Device Manager. I also ran an install of DirectX, although I think it wasn't needed as my computer seems to have come with DirectX 11. Others on the internet said they also crashed while playing games, and when I tried myself, the same was true. 5 minutes into Team Fortress 2 after it loads, my laptop shuts down.

Any ideas what else I should try?

EDIT: To be clear, it just turns off. No blue screen.

Edited by tristenkw5, 17 September 2011 - 12:42 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users