Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

RAM or BIOS failing?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 dog180

dog180

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 PM

Posted 16 September 2011 - 11:58 PM

what i thought it was going to be an easy format-N-install situation for my friends laptop turned into a nightmare.

Specs:

Dell inspiron 1525
Win Vista
Intel Core 2 duo
3GB RAM

He told me if I could save his pictures and some mp3s before formatting, (about 2GB of mostly pictures) so I tried the F8 game to get into safe mode", save files, then format and install vista again but it didnt work,
F8 didnt work, I get all kind of errors and Im thinking Vista is completely ruined.
So windows is dead thats ok I will copy and paste the files I need to my usb flashdrive using windows xp live CD, or backtrack 5 and I didnt work either.

when I try to access c: partition windows xp(LIVE CD) it says theres a problem with partition and some I/O error..., in backtrack I was not able to mount that partition either.

I have tried all the applications on windows xp live and UBCD and none of them work, I AM ABLE TO ACCESS THESE FILES AND I CAN SEE THEY ARE STILL HOLDING THEIR PHONE CALLING 911 :( (c:\users\friend\documents)
I tried Spotmau, windows xp live cd, UBCD and backtrack 5.

UBCD runs fine, Spotmau freezes when I try to do anything, I have to wait 2 minutes after I click something to work, Windows xp live takes forever too and the 2 minutes clicks If I go to my computer it freezes automatically and explorer.exe goes down right away, I want to know why? I know everything is running from a CD but it shouldnt be this slow, is it the RAM failing or the BIOS infected? I dont think its the hard drive or even if its the hard drive failing I should be able to run spotmau or any other live cd just fine.

Any suggestions ? at least to save the documents :(

thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 AM

Posted 17 September 2011 - 12:44 PM

Could you unplug Hardrive in that laptop and plug it to another Computer?
If you could plug it to another Computer. Please try it and does you could browse to files that you want and copy it.

:guitar: Take me to a place where time is frozen
You don't have to close your eyes to dream :busy:
You can find escape inside this moment :smash:
And I will follow  :whistle:

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 PM

Posted 17 September 2011 - 02:31 PM

I have one of these on the bench right now, found a bad hard drive. Turn on the computer, Press F12 a few times when the Dell logo shows on the screen to get to the boot devices menu and choose Diagnostics. From there you can test memory, system board, hard drive and more.

Then you will be able to post better information of what is wrong with the 1525.

If for some reason someone has wiped the hard drive you can go to www.dell.com using the service tag from the bottom and download a bootable version of the exact same diagnostics to burn to a CD and run from there.

Good Luck

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#4 dog180

dog180
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2011 - 03:07 PM

@abauw Im thinking of doing that, I have a 3-in-1 usb adapter for sata/ide hard drives but Im going to try one more time.

@rotor123, right now as i type this I'm using PhotoRec 6.12 and it seems like its working fine backing up the pictures but their coming out with rare file names , this soft is really for deleted files, my stuff is not deleted lol its just there waiting to be rescued. This is it I guess... Im going to try the HD on my main PC and do the dell tests.

(not sure if files being "recovered" right now are deleted files from the past and not the ones I need).

All I really need is a powerful file manager to access any type of partitions... copy and paste my stuff and format.

Edited by dog180, 18 September 2011 - 03:09 PM.

#5 dog180

dog180
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2011 - 03:17 PM

LAPTOP JUST WENT DEAD IN THE MIDDLE OF THIS PROCESS....

WOW... :( I think I'm dealing with 2 different problems.

#6 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 AM

Posted 18 September 2011 - 04:04 PM

Just want to clear something.
Do you use PhotoRec on same Hardrive that you want to recover? If yes then DO NOT TRYING TO RECOVER DATA ON SAME HARDRIVE THAT YOU WANT TO RECOVER again as by doing that you could damage your Hardrive and sometimes it will make your system freezes/hang or your Laptop turn off.

If you want to recover your data. Please unplug Hardrive in that Laptop and plug it to another Computer before you make more damage to your Hardrive.

If you want to test your Laptop you could do what rotor123 say.

:guitar: Take me to a place where time is frozen
You don't have to close your eyes to dream :busy:
You can find escape inside this moment :smash:
And I will follow  :whistle:

#7 dog180

dog180
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2011 - 10:17 PM

recovering data with power data recovery 6.5, this is the real thing finally :D

Im using my computer with the HD-to-USB kit :D its easy to remove 1525 Hard drive you dont even get to open the damn ugly dell...

Next step is format it completely, then try to install Win 7, if installation goes wrong im going to try with another 2.5 inch HD i have from old netbook.....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users