Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP 32bit to Windows 7 64bit

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Qwerty_Uieo

Qwerty_Uieo

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 PM

Posted 16 September 2011 - 10:35 PM

I just recently purchased a new PC to build and I already own a Hard Drive that works great.Now I plan on having windows 7 64bit on it, but at the moment I have windows XP 32bit on my existing Hard Drive.I am asking how I could possibly install windows 7 64bit on my hard drive without losing any data, without using a backup, and still be able to remove windows xp 32bit after the new OS is installed.

I have heard of using a partitioning program to partition the hard drive so that I could install windows 7 on that partition. Now I only wonder (if that option is even possible) if I would be able to remove windows XP and remove the partition it was on, or would it be best if I partition only enough for windows 7 + files and such that are needed for the OS, than use the windows xp partition to hold all my data and such.

Thanks in advance :)
Intel Core 2 Duo 2.20GHz
DDR2 1024MB RAM
ASUSTek P5L-MX
232GB HDD (not sure of make)
BFG GeForce 8500GT 1GB (over-clocked)
D-Link wireless Router (Wired)
Windows XP SP3
Firefox , Thunderbird
ESET NOD32
Super Anti-Spyware FREE, IObit 360 Security beta

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 PM

Posted 18 September 2011 - 12:12 PM

You have several options.

1. You can simply do a dual-boot (as I do) of XP and Win 7. I suggest using the upgrade version of Win 7 Home Premium and buying a family pack rather than a single version. The family pack will cost circa $120-150 and provide both the 32-bit and 64-bit DVDs...while purchasing a single license will result in no option for 32-bit and 64-bit installs...and cost almost as much (in some places) as the family pack/license for 3 installs.

http://www.bizrate.com/operating-systems/products__keyword--windows+7+home+premium+family+pack__sort--5.html

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/buy/windows-7-home-premium-upgrade-family-pack.aspx

2. If you do a dual-boot...either O/S partition can be deleted at any time, following known procedures. The one thing to remember is that the Win 7 bootloader will take over for the XP bootloader and you need to ask what the proper steps are...before attempting to delete either install.

3. If you use different hard drives (not partitions) for each install, it simplifies removal somewhat, IMO...but it's not really a key point. I dual-boot on 2 systems...one has both XP and Win 7 on same hard drive, while the other has each on a different hard drive.

Louis

#3 Qwerty_Uieo

Qwerty_Uieo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2011 - 12:22 PM

Okay thanks for your response, I am just wondering how the dual-booting works interms of the efficiency of the system, if it allows you to run just one of the os at once, and if you can only boot one OS at one time than how do you choose.

Thanks once again :)
Intel Core 2 Duo 2.20GHz
DDR2 1024MB RAM
ASUSTek P5L-MX
Windows XP SP3
Firefox , Thunderbird
ESET NOD32

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 PM

Posted 18 September 2011 - 02:58 PM

When the system first boots...it will show the two O/Ses and ask which one you want to boot into.

Use the up-down arrow keys to select one...hit Enter...it boots into that O/S.

Louis

Not sure what your question is re "efficiency". A hard drive can only boot into 1 O/S at a time and all other partitions drives are viewed as nothing but storage containers. The programs installed and the O/S can only run when booted into.

Edited by hamluis, 18 September 2011 - 03:00 PM.

#5 Qwerty_Uieo

Qwerty_Uieo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2011 - 05:56 PM

Oh okay i understand now, thankyou so much :)
Intel Core 2 Duo 2.20GHz
DDR2 1024MB RAM
ASUSTek P5L-MX
Windows XP SP3
Firefox , Thunderbird
ESET NOD32

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users