Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

League of Legends Inexplicable Lag Spikes and general computer slowness

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mikedh08

mikedh08

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 AM

Posted 16 September 2011 - 10:30 PM

So I've been playing the game League of Legends for 2.5ish years, and about 2 months ago I started having some issues with really long and seemingly random lag spikes. I would say the lag spikes occur really at any time, but they do seem to happen more often when lots of action is happening. I couldn't think of a reason for this, because i've been running the game on high settings for 2 years with no problem. reducing the graphics did nothing to solve the issue. I also noticed some decrease in the general performance of my pc, mostly when first starting up my computer and trying to start programs immediately like firefox. I don't think it's a virus because the problem started shortly after i cleaned my pc and resolved the issue in this thread: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic408186.html/page__p__2324174#entry2324174.

Some things that have changed since then: I've moved since then. The place I moved into I could only get wireless internet, so i went and bought a pci wireless adapter (i'm on a desktop). This was when the problem first started. At first i thought it was just because of the wireless internet just not being as good, but i had a friend come over on her laptop, and we played at the same time, she didn't have any lag issues and I still had mine. At this point i thought it was my wireless adapter, but was proven wrong when I was able to directly connect via ethernet cable, and I still had the lag issues. I reinstalled the game hoping that would fix the issue, but it did not help. I removed a bunch of programs i never use from my computer, i defragged my hard drive, i removed a bunch of useless startup programs. Nothing helped. At this point i came to this thread: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic87058.html and went through the fixes for Firefox and XP and other general fixes. One of the few things I haven't done from this list is physically clean the dust out from my computer, which I plan to do in the near future. The fixes seemed to help me browse the web faster, and the general performance of my pc went up, but it still isn't as good as it used to be, and the lag issues in the game are just as bad. This brings us to now.

Logs removed. Those are used only for diagnosing and removing malware. ~ OB

Edited by Orange Blossom, 17 September 2011 - 09:22 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Alumar

Alumar

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2011 - 04:33 PM

I had the same issue like yours but Im playing HoN heroes of newerth, the lag happens during clash, I did some research and followed some advice but the issue is still there and I have found out that the compatibility for HoN in my computer was set to Windows 95 which should not be, I unchecked the Compatibility tab then Applied and now my game has running smoothly ever.

To check the compatibility for your LOL in your computer right click on the LOL icon then click on Properties then Compatibility tab then see if the Box under compatibility is NOT checked.

#3 mikedh08

mikedh08
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2011 - 05:35 PM

So i tried this. When i clicked the compatibility tab it gave me an error "blah blah "C:\Riot GamesLeague of Legends\ path does not exist", and i saw that in the "Start in:" box that "C:\Riot GamesLeague of Legends\" was missing a backslash (\). I replaced the Start in: file path with the correct path (backslash included), and could then click on the compatibility tab, nothing was checked, so that wasn't the issue.

However, in the folder path I noticed that there were two .exe's for League of Legends, one with the word "admin" at the end of it. This reminds me one thing I forgot to mention in my report, is that I think the virus i contracted from my previous thread weeks ago was because of my little brothers on the internet on my computer. I password locked my account, made a guest account, and then restricted the guest account from internet explorer and mozilla firefox so they could use my computer but couldn't get on the internet. I guess when I did this it made an "admin" .exe for LoL? Anyways, I switched the Target of the shortcut to this "admin" .exe and I'm about to test the game to see if the problem persists.

Edit: Problem still exists :/

So for kicks I reallowed internet access on the guest account, I don't see this fixing the issue but I'm just trying random fixes in between games.

Edited by mikedh08, 17 September 2011 - 06:38 PM.

#4 Alumar

Alumar

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2011 - 08:40 PM

Is your Vcard updated with the latest Update from your manufacturer's site?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users