Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help selecting free av online

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 nessawilliams

nessawilliams

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 AM

Posted 16 September 2011 - 08:45 PM

Hi,
Im looking for someone to help guide me with free av's offered online.
Where is the best and safest place to go for downloading an anti-virus? I currently use norton security suite which is offered thru comcast and Im very unhappy, I feel so vulnerable, not very safe and uses way too many resources.

Also, is it best to first remove my currently installed anti virus and then download and install the new av?
What other protection, anti malware, anti virus ect would be best for me to use in combination?
Im not a gamer nor do I use my compaq pressario f700 for much other than web browsing, facebook, c-list. email and general microsoft word and publisher tasks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,440 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 AM

Posted 16 September 2011 - 09:17 PM

Hi,
Im looking for someone to help guide me with free av's offered online.
Where is the best and safest place to go for downloading an anti-virus? I currently use norton security suite which is offered thru comcast and Im very unhappy, I feel so vulnerable, not very safe and uses way too many resources.

Also, is it best to first remove my currently installed anti virus and then download and install the new av?
What other protection, anti malware, anti virus ect would be best for me to use in combination?
Im not a gamer nor do I use my compaq pressario f700 for much other than web browsing, facebook, c-list. email and general microsoft word and publisher tasks.

Hello and welcome. You can safely dowmload from our list and save one of these to the desktop.
•Avira Antivir

•Avast Free

Click here Freeware Replacements for Common Commercial Apps

Now... Download and run the Norton Removal Tool
Reboot.
Then install update and scan with the new AV.

I would then add •Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and •SuperAntiSpyware as on demand scanners. Eun once a week
Finally you can include •Spywareblaster
These three also in the list should be updated weekly.

What is your operating system and firewall?
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,570 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 AM

Posted 16 September 2011 - 09:28 PM

A wealth of information is included in our very own quietman7's pinned topic here: Answers to common security questions Prevention & Choosing an Anti-virus or Firewall

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#4 nessawilliams

nessawilliams
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2011 - 11:21 AM

The 2 gentlemen who responded I truley appreciate the prompt reply and very helpful information, THX!
I had win7 installed about year ago (however, i suspect it may have been a pirated version) seems to do okey given my basic use of it, and I use windows firewall.
I assumed norton automatically controlled firewall, but I did open control panel>system security> windows firewall and shows as being on.

Thanks again for the help guys

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,613 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2011 - 01:17 PM

Before removing your existing anti-virus, you should download and save the setup file for the anti-virus you are going to replace it with. Also download any specialized removal tools available for your current anti-virus in case you need them. If is not uncommon for some anti-virus programs to not completely uninstall itself using the usual method of Add/Remove Programs or Programs and Features in Vista/Windows 7. In many cases anti-virus vendors provide clean-up utilities on their web sites to remove remnants left behind after unintalling or for a failed uninstall. Alternatively, you can try using OPSWAT's AppRemover - supported applications list.

After doing that, disconnect from the Internet, uninstall your current anti-virus, reboot and then install the replacement. Reboot again to ensure it is working properly before reconnecting to the Internet.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#6 nessawilliams

nessawilliams
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2011 - 04:36 AM

Thank you for taking the time to help. The links where loaded with great information.
I have installed the software programs you mentioned and am pleased at how easy the are to use.

One thing I should of mentioned, I also do plenty of online banking and shopping with Amazon. Is the av (Avira) along with the other software you recommended enough protection? Internet security software seems to have too many applications. I use IE9, should be ok?

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,613 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2011 - 08:33 AM

As noted in the topic Animal referred you to, no amount of security software is going to defend against today's sophisticated malware writers for those who do not practice safe computing principles and stay informed. That requires reading security web sites to keep up with the latest techniques used by attackers to spread malware and infect computers.

For online banking I recommend you use strong passwords and change them often. Also be careful how you respond to any emails sent by financial institutions....they may be Phishing or Pharming scams designed to steal your personal information.

Also be mindful of Phone Scamming.

The scam works by criminals posing as computer security engineers and calling people at home to tell them they are at risk of a computer security threat. The scammers tell their victims they are providing free security checks and add authenticity by claiming to represent legitimate companies and using telephone directories to refer to their victims by name.

Once they have tricked their victims into believing they have a problem and that the caller can help, the scammers are believed to run through a range of deception techniques designed to steal money.

Microsoft Advice on Phone Scamming
Microsoft Advice on Phone Scamming for UK Citizens
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users