Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Explorer malfunctioning after failed AV install

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 bjamrok

bjamrok

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 AM

Posted 16 September 2011 - 06:54 PM

WinXP SP3 connected to a domain controller. After upgrade to new version of Kaspersky Antivirus for WS MP4 (which failed) I am unable to access many websites, (some display ok, others do not). Kaspersky support keeps directing me to a webex site for remote assistance which I can't access. I also cannot get Internet explorer to access MS update, just get a blank browser. After some reading I'm seeing a lot of similar problems solved using RegSvr32 command, but I don't know what to use it on. Is there a viewer or something that tells me which OLE objects are not registered, or do you just blindly reregister stuff till it works?
Sincerely,

Brian

"Thanks to all of you who contribute to open source projects and communities!"

http://jamroktech.blogspot.com

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FrankOtheMountaiN

FrankOtheMountaiN

• Members
  • 530 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 AM

Posted 16 September 2011 - 07:50 PM

Just a thought here. Did you attempt a system restore to an earlier time?

Frank O' The Mountain
Doing more stupid before 5AM than most people do all day.

#3 bjamrok

bjamrok
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2011 - 10:06 AM

I did not attempt system restore. Honestly, I don't believe in it, at least not in a business environment. I view a system restore as backwards movement. We have so many applications which have various custom settings, that if I'm going to make system restore my next option, especially when dealing with a failed upgrade installation like this I'll re-image and reinstall the OS before I restore. Please don't take offense, it's a notable action, but I feel I'd have so many "little" settings problems that would haunt me for the next few weeks as users find them, I'd rather just re-install at that point. We've had this issue before with other units which are identical make / model. I'd like to pin down the exact problem, especially if it has to do with an update or conflicting software so I'm not re-imageing or restoring on a regular basis. We had one machine that had to be re-imaged twice in a month for the same IE issues. My partner tried system restores on that machine to no avail also (he belives in them). I'd like to look for more direct answers otherwise it will be re-installation of XP Pro.......Again.....I'm very excited! (sarcasm). But seriously thanks for the input. I've found many, many, helpful answers here at BC.
Sincerely,

Brian

#4 bjamrok

bjamrok
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2011 - 02:41 PM

Ended up finding instructions to create a batch file to re-register all dlls. Workstation is working again. Thanks!
Sincerely,

Brian

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users