Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Repair Win XP Home, then BSOD

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Arclight

Arclight

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 PM

Posted 16 September 2011 - 04:34 PM

So I had some problems with my desktop after trying to install a game. Once I ran the executable the system restarted automatically so I can only assume that a virus was present (it was an .ISO of the game). So anyway the computer kept restarting before I could login, it didn't give me any actual error messages so after looking online for some answers someone pointed me to repairing my installation of windows xp Home.

Unfortunately I couldn't find my own copy of windows xp so I borrowed one and hoped to be able to retrieve my serial from my registry after the repair was finished but I can't because the validation screen wouldn't let me into my system. I shelled out the money and purchased a new copy of windows xp home and when it arrived I tried using it's serial to activate but it wouldn't allow me to. I tried to repair the system with the new version so it would take the new serial but when I boot from the CD to start the repair I get a BSOD that says the following:

A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to be sure you have adequate disk space. If a driver is identified in the Stop message, disable the driver or check with the manufacturer for driver updates. Try changing video adapters.

Check with your hardware vendor for any BIOS updates. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and then select Safe Mode.

Technical Information:
*** STOP: (0x0000005, 0xF748E0BF, 0xFF78DA208, 0xF78D9F08)

*** pci.sys - Address F748E0BF base at F7487000, DateStamp 3b7d855c

So that's where I'm at. I can probably guess at just how many problems I've likely caused because of my impulsiveness. Anyway I hope that someone can give me a hand with this, and I hope that I can manage to save what is on the hard drives.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 PM

Posted 16 September 2011 - 04:55 PM

FWIW: Repairing Windows files...is not an effective way of dealing with malware.

The malware needs to be removed as a first step.

I will move your topic...to the Am I Infected forum.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users