Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No svchost running at all

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Cruncher665

Cruncher665

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 PM

Posted 16 September 2011 - 04:10 PM

Recently, I installed Foxit Reader, then decided I didn't like it. When I attempted to re-install, I received the error message that "the windows installer service could not be accessed." It was listed as running in the services applet of administrator tools, but would not work.

While then exploring the system, I found other things that wouldn't work--for example, audio, which is what put me on to the same problem last May--and others. I got many "class not registered" errors. SFC won't run. When booting to the CD and running SFC, I got the old message about a pending repair, although I can find no trace of one. Ran malware scanners, of course, and the system came clean. Defragged, did scandisk. Clean boot was not useful. Trying to do a repair in place results in the error message that setup can't find any information about the discs on the system.

The most significant thing I have found, which is probably at the root of this, is that in task manager, there are no instances of svchost running, unlike the usual ten or fifteen that normally run. In the services list, some services say they are running, but aren't. Windows audio is an example.

I had this problem in May, and ended up doing a complete re-install of Windows 7 Home Premium. I would like to avoid going through that again. It's difficult with visual impairment.

Thoughts?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Cruncher665

Cruncher665
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2011 - 05:59 PM

My error; I had not ticked the box to show processes for all users. Svchost is indeed running and multiple instances are listed.
Then that makes the whole thing even dicier.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,887 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2011 - 11:55 AM

Not necessarily :).

What is svchost.exe And Why Is It Running the How-To Geek - http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/what-is-svchostexe-and-why-is-it-running/

How to determine what services are running under a SVCHOST.EXE process - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/list-services-running-under-svchost.exe-process/

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users