Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can one printscreen cursor action?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 MaryBet82

MaryBet82

• Members
  • 440 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 AM

Posted 16 September 2011 - 02:23 PM

When I put the pointer over some unknown line object in Word it changes into double directional arrows - like putting the pointer/cursor over the borders of a table. I was trying to get a screenshot of that - but the arrows don't show up when I press command + shift + 3. I tried it on a table border and the arrows didn't capture on that either.
Tooltip boxes - the little info boxes that come up when you pan the mouse over an object on the dock or a tool button in Word - do get captured.

Anyone know why the arrows don't and the tooltips do? Is there a printscreen utility for mac that might work when the mac's native utility doesn't?
mac 10.6 on macbook pro
WinXP sp2 on Dell 380 w/ 512 MB RAM- currently dead in the water
WinXP tab ed sp 3 on Thinkpad X41 w/ 1.5 GB RAM - lemony flavored
Win2K Sp4 on Sony VAIO GXR600 w/ 512 MB RAM - currently blue screening

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 AM

Posted 16 September 2011 - 02:39 PM

Hi, I am not too sure about this but would a video capture be of any use? I am also not sure if this program will run on Mac. However feel free to contact them through their contact address and ask, but this is a small program that will take a video of everything that happens on screen from when you start recording to when you stop.
It is called "Freez Screen Video Capture" it is a free tool and download from here=

http://www.smallvideosoft.com/index.php

I hope that may be of help as I know it works very well on all Windows systems, I just hope it will on a Mac.

Nev.
Why all the fuss, I already have Windows 8. Three windows at the front, and five at the back since I bought the house.
Posted Image

#3 Buddyme2

Buddyme2

• Members
  • 699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 AM

Posted 17 September 2011 - 02:06 AM

When I put the pointer over some unknown line object in Word it changes into double directional arrows - like putting the pointer/cursor over the borders of a table. I was trying to get a screenshot of that - but the arrows don't show up when I press command + shift + 3. I tried it on a table border and the arrows didn't capture on that either.
Tooltip boxes - the little info boxes that come up when you pan the mouse over an object on the dock or a tool button in Word - do get captured.

Anyone know why the arrows don't and the tooltips do? Is there a printscreen utility for mac that might work when the mac's native utility doesn't?

Grab.app in Applications > Utilities. In Grab menu > Preferences choose the pointer you want in the screenshot.

#4 MaryBet82

MaryBet82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 440 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 AM

Posted 20 September 2011 - 02:21 PM

Thanks Plastic Nev,
Small videosoft doesn't list requirements, but unless a program says it's for mac or has a mac version, it's meant for a pc. They do have a contact email I can ask about a mac version.

Thanks Buddyme2,
Using the Grab Timed screen capture I was trying to get a screenshot of the arrows the cursor changes to when you put it over a border line in word. Today I tried to get a screenshot of the callout shape the cursor turns into when I reveal formatting in word. Grab shows the cursor that you choose in preferences - not what the cursor currently looks like.
mac 10.6 on macbook pro
WinXP sp2 on Dell 380 w/ 512 MB RAM- currently dead in the water
WinXP tab ed sp 3 on Thinkpad X41 w/ 1.5 GB RAM - lemony flavored
Win2K Sp4 on Sony VAIO GXR600 w/ 512 MB RAM - currently blue screening

#5 Buddyme2

Buddyme2

• Members
  • 699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 AM

Posted 21 September 2011 - 12:06 PM

I don't know which 3rd party print screen program will work as I've never tried any. Skitch is free and you could download it from the Apple App store. You might find one that'll work the way you want at http://www.macupdate.com/.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users