Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

NTLDR is Missing

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 tpm

tpm

• Members
  • 355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 PM

Posted 16 September 2011 - 07:39 AM

Hello
I am piecing together a Dell 2400 that had 2 WinXp Pro installed. One on each hard drive. I formatted the second drive and everything is good EXCEPT I need the Dell WinXp install disc to boot. Also the SM Bus controller is missing and while checking Dell for drivers it says Intel product not installed in machine. There is an Intel Celarion decal on it. If I could get it to bot I'll be happy
I did have some instructions about copying 2 files from the install disc into the ©Root folder. Where in the C drive would I copy them too???

Thanks so much for the anticipated response :)

Tom
Tom

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,646 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2011 - 07:55 AM

Sounds as though you need to install the chipset driver.

#3 tpm

tpm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 355 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2011 - 08:36 AM

Yes but where do I find it? Dell website doesn't have it. I went on driverupdate.com and was able to get 6 of 7 drivers for nadda but the last one (chipset) wouldn't give it to me. You would think there would be a free scan program to install these things
Tom

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,646 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2011 - 08:43 AM

If you go to Dell Support and enter your service tag number you will find all drivers including the chipset driver.

#5 tpm

tpm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 355 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2011 - 09:02 AM

I tried that but it appears it's not what I need
Just tried a a sfc /scannow to repair the Boot process but it needs an XpPro Cd and all I have is a XpHome CD. Almost had it. Although it starts up fine with the XpHome Cd in the drive
Tom

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,646 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2011 - 09:07 AM

The chipset driver was for the smbus controller. As for ntldr, go here: http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000465.htm

#7 tpm

tpm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 355 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2011 - 09:37 AM

Thank you Allan. I just tried that but it is requesting an admin password. Tried to just hit enter but no luck. No passwords are used on computer. I am now triying to copy all the drivers I have using Driver Max. Never used it before but it looks promising. I will then install XpHome edition. Nothing is easy
Tom

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users