Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard drive partition disappeared -_-

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 rajjaak24

rajjaak24

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 AM

Posted 15 September 2011 - 03:35 PM

So I had ubuntu 11.04 on my second hard drive and windows vista on my first windows vista messed up so I installed ubuntu 11.04 onto my second partition then I made my usb into a windows 8 installer and installed windows 8 onto the hard drive that contained windows vista everything is fine but now I the partition that contained ubuntu 11.04 disappeared help?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 AM

Posted 15 September 2011 - 04:26 PM

You've installed a developer's preview of Windows 8. It isn't even in Alpha yet. You have to be prepared for anything. Sorry.

#3 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,618 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2011 - 05:39 PM

Is the actual partition gone, or are you just unable to boot up into it. This could be an issue of Windows 8 overwriting the boot loader.

#4 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,488 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2011 - 08:41 AM

It most likely over write the boot loader upon install this is why I always image my drive or I use a virtual machine.
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#5 rajjaak24

rajjaak24
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2011 - 11:44 AM

The second partition doesn't come up at all Posted Image

I guess I'll go to windows 7?

#6 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,618 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2011 - 11:50 AM

That is a different story unfortunately. Not sure why that happened. Hard to say when dealing with early prerelease software like this.

#7 rajjaak24

rajjaak24
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2011 - 02:04 PM

Ok im on windows 7 now but it still hasnt popped up is it because the other partition is NOT NTFS? because when I tried installing windows 7 on the second partition it said it wasnt NTFS and if I delete the partition while installing windows will I get the full 120 gb on my original partition?

#8 Required Field

Required Field

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 PM

Posted 16 September 2011 - 02:24 PM

I belive this is because it is not NTFS. A few years ago, I had Windows Vista installed on a 250 GB HDD and Fedora 8 installed on a 160Gb HDD in the same box...Vista would not recognize the Fedora drive, even though Fedora saw the Vista drive just fine.
"Most quotes attributed to famous people on the internet are fake." -Abraham Lincoln

#9 rajjaak24

rajjaak24
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2011 - 02:52 PM

Ok so I need a way to convert it as I used a program and it said the type was unknown.I had ubuntu on there and still do

#10 Required Field

Required Field

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 PM

Posted 16 September 2011 - 03:13 PM

Honestly, I think you'd get a lot more help from the Linux & Unix forum
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/forum11.html
I don't think this is anything to do with the developer preview. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong :)
"Most quotes attributed to famous people on the internet are fake." -Abraham Lincoln

#11 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2011 - 06:28 PM

I belive this is because it is not NTFS. A few years ago, I had Windows Vista installed on a 250 GB HDD and Fedora 8 installed on a 160Gb HDD in the same box...Vista would not recognize the Fedora drive, even though Fedora saw the Vista drive just fine.

Windows Vista is fully capable of seeing and accessing FAT32 formatted devices and drives. The reason you could not see your Fedora Install in Vista, is because Windows of any flavor cannot read the extended file system which is used on many Linux and some Unix Installations.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users