Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cached data from Office 2010

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ThomasDG

ThomasDG

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 AM

Posted 15 September 2011 - 10:30 AM

I have office 2010 and am moving over to a new computer. Is there anyway to get the cahed data from the old machine to the new one? In 2007 you could copy the outlook.n2k file and have all of that data.

Thanks,
Thomas

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 whoabuddy

whoabuddy

Bleepin' Verbose

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 2,053 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 PM

Posted 15 September 2011 - 10:40 AM

Hello,

Outlook 2010 did away with NK2 files and the information is now stored within your PST, so when you set up the new account to the old delivery location these entries should be restored. Outlook 2010 also allows you to import NK2 files if you have any.

Excerpt from Microsoft on moving accounts between machines:

In Outlook 2010, the Auto-Complete List is no longer saved in a file with an extension of .nk2. The Auto-Complete List entries are now saved in your Microsoft Exchange Server mailbox or in the Outlook Data File (.pst) for your account.

Let me know if you need any more info!

Regards,
whoabuddy
Meditate. Elevate. Appreciate. | "Life is a journey, love is the destination, happiness is the path!"
If I am helping you and have not responded within 48 hours, please send me a PM.
Vi Veri Universum Vivus Vici (VVVVV)
Excellent Security Advice
Proud member of UNITE

#3 ThomasDG

ThomasDG
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2011 - 01:09 PM

I imported my .pst file, but did not get any of cached data. I have all of my emails and calendar events, but no cache data

#4 whoabuddy

whoabuddy

Bleepin' Verbose

• 2,053 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2011 - 03:07 PM

I couldn't find very much info on-line about Outlook 2010 and the autocomplete files, but I did find a reference in this blog to copying over a .dat file that should contain the information. Before changing any files, please be sure to back up your data, and I have summarized the instructions below:

Old PC
  • Navigate to C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\RoamCache
  • Copy the Stream_Autocomplete.dat file to the New PC (it will contain several numbers/letters)
New PC
  • Close Outlook so the files are not locked for editing
  • Navigate to C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\RoamCache
  • Rename the current Stream_Autocomplete file from .dat to .old
  • Copy the Stream_Autocomplete file from the old PC to this folder
  • Rename the old Stream_Autocomplete to match the new filename + .dat
Ex.
  • File on Old PC: Stream_AutoComplete_0_0AE3BEACD7629.dat
  • File on New PC: Stream_Autocomplete_1_F62C21098D9BC.dat
  • Rename New File: Stream_Autocomplete_1_F62C21098D9BC.old
  • Rename Old File: Stream_AutoComplete_1_F62C21098D9BC.dat
This should trick Outlook into using the original .dat file with your Outlook profile, however I do not have the resources to test this method. Once you have finished copying and renaming the file, open Outlook and test your autocomplete entries.
Meditate. Elevate. Appreciate. | "Life is a journey, love is the destination, happiness is the path!"
If I am helping you and have not responded within 48 hours, please send me a PM.
Proud member of UNITE

#5 ThomasDG

ThomasDG
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2011 - 07:54 AM

Thank you for your help! One additional piece of information that I had to discover by trial and error:

Outlook looks for a file with the specific file name, not just the Stream_Autocomplete.dat file. When you copy in the file from the old computer, rename it exactly as the original file on the new computer is, otherwise outlook will create a new Stream_Autocomplete file and not used the copied one. I hope that makes sense.

#6 whoabuddy

whoabuddy

Bleepin' Verbose

• 2,053 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2011 - 08:43 AM

I'm glad it worked! That definitely makes sense, I will update my instructions to include the correction. :busy:
Proud member of UNITE

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users