Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do you make it stop?!?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Required Field

Required Field

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 AM

Posted 15 September 2011 - 10:00 AM

I have found no way to power off except through Ctrl + Alt + Del
Anybody else?
"Most quotes attributed to famous people on the internet are fake." -Abraham Lincoln

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 AM

Posted 15 September 2011 - 11:42 AM

Same boat here. I powered down by pressing Posted Image+R, typing shutdown -s -t 00 and pressing enter.

#3 Required Field

Required Field
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2011 - 01:18 PM

I forgot you could do that... keyboard shortcuts FTW! Still, there has to be a better way. Seems kind of stupid to make users hunt for a way to shut down their PC knowing that eventually they'll just give up and hit the big "no, no, don't do that!" button on the front of their PC.
"Most quotes attributed to famous people on the internet are fake." -Abraham Lincoln

#4 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,259 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2011 - 01:27 PM

Posted Image

#5 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 PM

Posted 15 September 2011 - 05:16 PM

I could shut down properly, go to Windows key then settings i think, i'll confirm it when i get home from school.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#6 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,567 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 AM

Posted 15 September 2011 - 05:36 PM

The only way I have found to shutdown from the interface, is to log off and then press the little power button icon to shut it down or restart. Anyone else find a method directly form the profile?

Posted Image

#7 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,567 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2011 - 05:44 PM

Figured it out. Hover your mouse in the lower left hand corner till you get the new pseudo start menu.

Then select settings. The settings screen will be shown and you can click on the power button from there. Screen shot below showing this:

Posted Image

#8 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2011 - 06:06 PM

RE: Shut down. Move the mouse to the very bottom left hand corner of the screen. The Start Menu will appear, select "Settings". Click on it, and a green panel will open up on the right of the screen. At the bottom of this panel there are several options--selecting "Power" opens another menu pops up with the options power, sleep & shutdown. Select your option.

Hope this helps...

[attachment=107066:8_Power_shut_down.PNG]

EDIT TO ADD: I see Grinler has posted this info...@ Grinler: In your screengrab the option to "sleep" is MIA...is this your choice (sleep disabled)?

Edited by Union_Thug, 15 September 2011 - 06:12 PM.

#9 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,567 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2011 - 06:19 PM

I am using it through virtual box so prob not detecting something.

#10 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,259 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2011 - 06:22 PM

Have you been able to get the VirtualBox Additions to install?

#11 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2011 - 06:54 PM

I tried both the 32 bit & 64 bit in VirtualBox with horrendous graphics performance...wouldn't install on VMware Player... DL'd VMware Workstation 8 (30 day trial) & it'srunning much better, tyvm!

VMware tools installed smartly...I never did figure out if the ext packs installed in V-Box or not.:blink:

#12 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2011 - 07:43 PM

Windows 7 - Shut Down - Add to Desktop Context Menu http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/184031-shut-down-add-desktop-context-menu.html

Windows 7 - Shut Down Computer Shortcut - Create
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/61294-shut-down-computer-shortcut-create.html

Confirmed both woked for me in Windows 8. YMMV.

[attachment=107078:9_rtclk_shutdown.PNG]

Edited by Union_Thug, 15 September 2011 - 07:44 PM.

#13 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 PM

Posted 16 September 2011 - 01:20 AM

Figured it out. Hover your mouse in the lower left hand corner till you get the new pseudo start menu.

Then select settings. The settings screen will be shown and you can click on the power button from there. Screen shot below showing this:

Posted Image

I was gonna show that before but didn't have Windows 8 in front of me because i was at school <_<

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#14 Required Field

Required Field
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2011 - 08:27 AM

Thanks, Grinler and Union_Thug. I just assumed it would be more obvious....

#15 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,567 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2011 - 08:31 AM

Have you been able to get the VirtualBox Additions to install?

No...unfortunately they are not supported. Though, I may have just figured out something. Let me try somethig.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users