Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Restore with Disks Doesn't Work, No Drivers Found

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 tesseract

tesseract

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 AM

Posted 15 September 2011 - 09:23 AM

Hi everyone,
I believe I got a virus/rootkit/malware on my HP 620 Business Notebook with Windows 7...and now after a couple days of trying to fix it, I cannot even do a system restore with my restore disks. I am going to describe as much as I can about this and hopefully someone has some advice on how to fix my computer, if possible.

Things started gong bad when I clicked on a gif image on an discussion board and it loaded halfway and then stalled. My computer seemed to be running slow since then, but it was still functional. It seemed to get slower though.

I would click to open a folder and it would take a couple minutes to open and load completely.

I also want to mention a few things about my computer that may be relevant:
  • Computer is fairly new, bought it new and only owned it for a little more than a month
  • Visual Studio 2008 Pro was installed
  • The computer was dropped( fell about a foot and a half onto the ground)
  • I had a File Shredder program and used that program a couple times

So since my computer was going slow I tried to open Disk Defrag, but when I clicked the icon, it wouldn't open. (I disconnected from the internet from this point on)
After trying that, I booted in Safe Mode and tried it, and Disk Defrag still wouldn't work.
I tried Disk Cleanup and that did work (although it was very slow in opening)
While Disk Cleanup was working, another pop up came up and said "This program is damaged" (the program it was referring to was Outlook, which I never used) That pop up looked familiar like a typical windows pop up, and it said click it to try and fix it, so I did (right after clicking it, I was thinking that maybe that was not the best idea)
It proceeded to show a loading bar and I could hear my computer working. I forget what it said when it finished, but after it finished, I try to restart and that is when everything stopped working, first getting a black screen with a cursor, and then when I try to shut down and turn it back on like normal again it goes to just a black screen. I still get the BIOS and other Startup options which i can go into. I did not change any BIOS settings. I tried going into system diagnostics, but after I click start diagnostic I just get a black screen (no cursor)

At that point I am thinking just to restore my computer to it's factory settings.

I first try to do it without the disks (since I didn't have any) from the hidden partition, but that doesn't work.

System Restore with Disks Doesn't Work, No Drivers Found
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I then call HP and tell them my problem, and they send my a set of disks to do a system restore:
-I insert the disk and everything seems to be working. I am prompted to click any key to boot from disk.
-I get a windows loading bar..then prompted to choose language settings, I choose English, then click next.
-Get a window that has a button that says Install Now, and underneath the button to links that say "What to know before you install Windows" and "Repair your computer"

-I click Install Now
-I am prompted to accept terms, which I do
-I select custom install, which is the option to choose if I want to reinstall rather than update

-Then it says "where do you want to install windows?" and has a table below that lists available drives, which is empty, even after I refresh it.
-says "no divers were found"
-There is an option to load driver, which has Boot(X:) and CD Drive(G:), neither work.
-says "make sure installation media contains correct drivers"

I try these same processes with "Repair your computer" option, but still have the driver problem

So that's it.
Can I fix this problem?
Does it sound like it is a software problem, or perhaps a hardware problem?

I called HP and had them walk me through the system restore process with the disks just to make sure I didn't miss something, but ran into the same exact problem. They told me the address of the nearest certified HP repair place (it is still under warranty). However, I don't want just want it to be fixed, I am interested in finding out what exactly is wrong and how to fix it "myself" (rather than handing it to someone and then getting it back in working condition magically).

I will do that only if it is a last resort. Or a hardware problem that I need to get some new part.

So please, any info on how to solve this would be greatly appreciated.Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nasdaq

nasdaq

• Malware Response Team
  • 38,762 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 AM

Posted 20 September 2011 - 07:52 AM

I would personally return to HP while the computer is still under warranty.

Since this is not a Malware issue, the Experts in Windows 7 Forum may be able to help.
Start a new topic here.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/forum167.html

Sorry.

#3 nasdaq

nasdaq

• Malware Response Team
  • 38,762 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 AM

Posted 26 September 2011 - 07:50 AM

Due to the lack of feedback, this topic is now closed.

In the event you still have problems, please send me or any Moderator a Private Message and ask them to reopen this topic within the next 5 days. Please include a link to your topic in the Private Message. Thank you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users