Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 "freezing" and unfreezing

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 esotericentity

esotericentity

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 PM

Posted 15 September 2011 - 02:00 AM

Hello there and thanks in advance for reading.

Dell XPS M1530 laptop
Windows 7
Pentium Core 2 @ 1.83
4Gb RAM

My problem started with google redirects. Clicking Google search results redirected me to random search pages. I figured a scan with Spybot, Ad-aware, and/or Malwarebytes would solve the problem and I would move on. I think I tried Spyboy first and ever since scanning my computer for that first time it has been freezing. Not freezing all the way up, but everything locks up visually. My mouse still works. The programs mentioned above would still scan even while the screen was frozen, updating every once in a while then freezing again. Each revealed their own problems and dealt with them, the google redirects were fixed, but the slow "freezing" computer remains. Both Firefox and Internet Explorer (after taking a couple minutes to even open) will freeze (along with everything else except my mouse) and turn not responding/crash.

I don't really know what started this problem nor what it's going to take to fix it. Maybe it's a hardware problem. Would a failing hard drive cause symptoms like this? I'm borrowing my friends laptop because mine is basically unusable in this condition. This computer was running like a breeze just a couple days ago. If this isn't a hardware problem then this is a vicious worm. My computer does run a bit hot, this model of XPS is known to, but I have a pretty nice laptop cooler that seems to keep it a lot cooler than it does on its own.

Let me know if there is any other information that you need. And thanks again for taking the time to read and respond.

-esoteric

Update: My computer has worked fine twice since posting this. This means it runs smoothly with no hangups whatsoever. However, the first time I rebooted and the problem was right back to the way it was and the second time (just a few minutes ago) my computer BSOD'd while sitting on the desktop. I tried to get the BSOD code but failed to do so in time before reboot.

Update2: Computer does not freeze when sitting on desktop. The taskbar shows fine and everything but clicking any program to open it yields no results. It's like I never clicked anything. Upon trying to open my task manager to see if a bunch of processes were running I get the error "Failure to display security and shut down options".

Update3: Computer running smoothly (for now) but Firefox crashes upon hitting enter after typing a search request. There is a was a firefox process running in task manager even with no firefox running along with a "Mozillaupdt32.exe" "TXT text control core". Trying to open Internet Explorer I would get an hourglass for a second then nothing. I click it three times with no IE showing up (they do not show up in task manager either). Upon closing the Mozillupdt32.exe process, however, all three IEs pops up almost instantly. I'm at a loss for what is going on. I've never experienced anything like this on a PC. The problems are sporadic but annoying and apparent enough that I need help.

What in the world is going on? So many problems popping up in such a short amount of time...

Update4: Back to square one. All applications open slow and freeze more than they work. I get not responding for a full minute and a half when trying to switch web pages, open any files, anything. Eventually it unfreezes and does its work but it freezes again very quickly. This seems to be my only problem right now after several restarts.

Edited by esotericentity, 15 September 2011 - 07:21 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users