Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Loading Windows XP Pro

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 kemperhills

kemperhills

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 PM

Posted 14 September 2011 - 06:39 PM

I have an Acer Aspire X1300 computer running Vista, SP2. IMO Vista is a piece of junk and I have and install disc for Windows XP Pro, SP3 that I would like to install.

I would like to remove Vista and install XP, but wonder how much trouble that would be. Would I have to download different Acer dirvers for the XP OS.

If anyone would have any information on the difficulty on removing Vista and installing XP I would appreciate any help.

I know that I could upgrade to 7, but my children each have a laptop with 7 and I really would rather have XP than 7.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,644 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2011 - 07:11 AM

Boot to the XP CD. Choose the option to delete the system partition and then recreate it and format. Install XP. Then do the following:

1) Install the chipset driver followed by all other drivers.
2) Install a good av app
3) Go to Windows Update and install all software updates (NEVER download hardware or driver updates from Windows Update)
4) Install Disc Imaging software and create an image of the drive on a second hd if available. That way you will always have the ability to revert to the current system status if needed. I suggest you use disc imaging software on a regular basis after that.

#3 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 AM

Posted 15 September 2011 - 07:47 AM

Hi,

Here is the link to drivers:

Acer Drivers
MCP
MSDST

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,384 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 PM

Posted 15 September 2011 - 08:03 AM

If you only have a license for Vista on that system...you will need a license to install XP that is not being used currently on a different system...or is an OEM license tied to another system.

Louis

#5 Required Field

Required Field

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2011 - 10:51 AM

Is there any other reason, such as application compatibility, that you would need to do the downgrade? Perhaps you should consider upgrading to Windows 7 instead. XP was a great OS (post service pack 2), but it is going to become obsolete within a couple of years.
"Most quotes attributed to famous people on the internet are fake." -Abraham Lincoln

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,644 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2011 - 10:54 AM

Personally I don't understand the problems people have with Vista. I use it on a couple of systems and never had any issues whatsoever. It's just an OS.

#7 kemperhills

kemperhills
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2011 - 11:19 AM

Boot to the XP CD. Choose the option to delete the system partition and then recreate it and format. Install XP. Then do the following:

1) Install the chipset driver followed by all other drivers.
2) Install a good av app
3) Go to Windows Update and install all software updates (NEVER download hardware or driver updates from Windows Update)
4) Install Disc Imaging software and create an image of the drive on a second hd if available. That way you will always have the ability to revert to the current system status if needed. I suggest you use disc imaging software on a regular basis after that.

Thanks Allan, but I have never done what you say in the first sentence, and wonder how easy it would be to mess the computer up. I'm not a newbie, but hardly a pro, but I am learning.
Thanks.

Edited by kemperhills, 15 September 2011 - 11:24 AM.

#8 kemperhills

kemperhills
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2011 - 11:23 AM

If you only have a license for Vista on that system...you will need a license to install XP that is not being used currently on a different system...or is an OEM license tied to another system.

Louis

Thanks, but I have and XP Pro, SP3 install disc that has it's own license. I bought it to repair a Dell computer that somehow corrupted the OS. It is for the OS only and has not computer drivers on it. When I repaired the OS on the Dell I had to go to Dell's site and download the drivers for that computer on a disc and then install them on the Dell computer. So I should be able to use the XP install disc and install any driver from Acer needed for the XP OS. Isn't that correct. :thumbup2: :busy: Thanks.

#9 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,644 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2011 - 11:23 AM

You're welcome.

#10 Required Field

Required Field

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2011 - 11:34 AM

[Thanks Allan, but I have never done what you say in the first sentence, and wonder how easy it would be to mess the computer up. I'm not a newbie, but hardly a pro, but I am learning.
Thanks.

I think you are referring to deleting a partition, here...After booting the XP CD, it should show you partitions that already have Windows on them. You don't want to install XP on top of Vista, so hit "D" to delete the Vista partition. If I remember correctly, you have to confirm it by hitting "L" and then install XP. I'd choose the "quick format" option.
"Most quotes attributed to famous people on the internet are fake." -Abraham Lincoln

#11 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,644 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2011 - 11:51 AM

Editing your post after it's responded to can cause confusion. Better to post a new question.

You can't possibly "mess up the computer". And if you are certain your HD is in good shape then I agree you can go with the Quick Format. If you want to run a diagnostic on the hd, go with the "full" format (it will run chkdsk /r followed by format)

#12 kemperhills

kemperhills
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2011 - 08:08 PM

Is there any other reason, such as application compatibility, that you would need to do the downgrade? Perhaps you should consider upgrading to Windows 7 instead. XP was a great OS (post service pack 2), but it is going to become obsolete within a couple of years.

The main reason is that I have software that I use regularly that won't run on Vista, or 7. But as I stated, my two children each have a laptop with 7 and I am not to fond of 7

I have used 95, 98, 98SE, XP, Vista, and 7. IMO, 98SE was the best OS Microsoft put out with XP second. Just call me sentimental. :thumbup2:

#13 kemperhills

kemperhills
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2011 - 08:15 PM

[Thanks Allan, but I have never done what you say in the first sentence, and wonder how easy it would be to mess the computer up. I'm not a newbie, but hardly a pro, but I am learning.
Thanks.

I think you are referring to deleting a partition, here...After booting the XP CD, it should show you partitions that already have Windows on them. You don't want to install XP on top of Vista, so hit "D" to delete the Vista partition. If I remember correctly, you have to confirm it by hitting "L" and then install XP. I'd choose the "quick format" option.

One more question Allan, would it be safer to install XP as a dual boot with Vista and make sure that I get the XP OS working properly before deleting Vista. I am really in an area that I am not comfortable with, but need to learn.

And by the way, thanks to all the other's who offered help on this subject. :thumbsup: :thumbup2:

#14 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,644 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2011 - 06:41 AM

You can if you want to. As long as you know the computer supports XP and you can obtain the correct drivers there shouldn't be any issues.

#15 Required Field

Required Field

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2011 - 08:11 AM

If you're not comfortable deleting the Vista partition, and if you have access to another hard drive, I'd recommend that you install to it and just set your vista drive aside. That way, if you do run in to problems with the XP install, you can just pop the Vista drive in like nothing happened instead of messing with multiple partitions/dual boot. That's just me, though. As far as drivers go, if Acer doesn't have drivers, it's possible to get drivers from the motherboard manufacturer (intel, Asus, etc.) but that may be a headache.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users