Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow Operaing system

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Johnny 5 Alive

Johnny 5 Alive

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 AM

Posted 14 September 2011 - 05:42 PM

I am finally moving this topic to here. Broni said I may have hardware issues rather than malware issues.

My Dell Inspiron 9400 takes forever, ok, slight exaggeration, to start up, run browsers or programs and then shut down.

Processor Genuine Intel® CPU T2300 @ 1.66GHz
Processor Speed 1.62 GHz
Memory (RAM) 2048 MB
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Operating System Version 5.1.2600

I have tried may things, none resolve the problem, today I did a repair install using a slipstreamed SP3 disk. I now am told that I need to register before I can log on and while doing so I get a message similar to XXXXX can not write to memory ZZZZZZ please select ok to stop process or cancel to debug. Neither option seems to work. All I get is my desktop image nothing else.

During this process, I sometimes get hieroglyphics either at the top of the screen or the bottom right hand side

Edited by Johnny 5 Alive, 14 September 2011 - 05:44 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,742 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 AM

Posted 14 September 2011 - 07:28 PM

Have you run Dell Diagnostics on this sytem yet?

Dell Diagnostics - http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dsn/en/document?c=us&dl=false&l=en&s=gen&docid=A9E3A15597A04AFBB02EE16785D39C5C&doclang=en&cs=

Louis

#3 Johnny 5 Alive

Johnny 5 Alive
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2011 - 05:12 AM

I am not able to boot at all, the system completely hangs. Is there another way to access this Dell program?

Here is the exact error message I am getting each time I try to boot up.

svchost.exe - Application Error

The instruction at “0x012b06d1” referenced memory at “0x00000000”. The memory could not be “written”

Click on OK to terminate the program
Click on CANCEL to debug the program

I just replied OK to the error message, was able to start the process of logging on to one of the users. This is the message I get.

Windows Product Activation

This copy of windows must be activated with Microsoft before you can log on.
Do you want to activate Window now?

I have gotten this far before, and if I select Yes, it seems to try to start, but it just sits there for hours with the hard drive running constantly.

I tried to use the Dell Reinstallation disk and it did the usual Windows system processes until it displayed an error message.

I did make a disk image using Drive Image 2002 onto a 2TB external HD. Perhaps I should reformat the HD and reinstall the drive image. I would need some help with that at this point.

If I need to reinstall Windows, what would I use as the Key code to install it. The Dell sticker on the bottom does not match the key the Belarc states as being installed, what do I use.

Edited by Johnny 5 Alive, 15 September 2011 - 06:29 AM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,742 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2011 - 07:45 AM

<<The Dell sticker on the bottom does not match the key the Belarc states as being installed, what do I use.>>

I'd say that you need to call Dell, since your system doesn't boot properly.

Issues with XP activation on systems where OEM manufacturers are involved...need to be solved by the OEM, IMO or by telephonic activation with the MS reps.

As for your plan to reinstall...I fail to see how that will address the issues you have outlined...unless you employ a valid license and install media that is different from those you seem to have negative results with now.

FWIW: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_xp-security/this-copy-of-windows-must-be-activated-before-you/387f3367-5fc4-4aa1-937d-6788a626029d

Louis

All of these things...may be indicative of a problem with your hard drive or the partition structure/file system.

Edited by hamluis, 15 September 2011 - 07:46 AM.

#5 Johnny 5 Alive

Johnny 5 Alive
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2011 - 09:51 AM

Is there a way to use the Disk Image on the external HD to get it to boot again? Is there a way to boot from the folder on the external HD containing the image. Bet not as it is condensed.

BTW, thank you for your help.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,742 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2011 - 11:24 AM

I have no magical solutions that you might desire.

As for your latest questions...I can't answer those, since the variables (program used to create image, among others) I am not familiar with.

I don't comprehend how a disk image can be useful...unless it's restored using the same software which created it.

I believe that Windows cannot be booted from any external drive, but there is always someone else who has developed an unreliable, complicated procedure which they claim gets around these types of obastacles. I've never tried it.

The one thing that I would do...run the appropriate hard drive diagnotic.

Free Hard Drive Testing Tools - Hard Drive Diagnostics - http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/tp/tophddiag.htm

Someone else may have suggestions that I have not/cannot consider, due to what I think I know.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users