Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Screen messed up after reverting to old resolution

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 blub

blub

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 PM

Posted 14 September 2011 - 03:42 PM

The monitor for my older computer is 17" and I have the resolution set at 800x600. Today I changed it to 1024x768 to see if a website would display correctly (it didn't) and when I changed it back to 800x600, it's all messed up. The right side and bottom of the desktop fall off the edges of the screen by a lot. This has never happened before. I tried restarting the computer, but that didn't help. I could adjust the settings on the monitor to fix it, but then I would have to change their default settings which I've used for years. I shouldn't have to adjust the monitor to fix this problem, because something else is causing the problem. Even the 1024x768 resolution isn't displaying correctly. Does anyone know how to get everything back to normal without changing the monitor settings?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,887 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2011 - 03:59 PM

What are the default settings for the monitor?

In any case...you can uninstall your current video drivers...reboot...and Windows will restore what it considers proper, using the default driver in its reserve.

At that point, you can attempt to install the correct video driver, if such was not installed on the reboot...and then adjust the onscreen resolution used.

The video drivers should be available for download from your system manufacturer's website, if you don't have the drivers CD which came with the system.

Louis

To uninstall current video drivers: Start/Run...type devmgmt.msc and hit Enter. Scroll down to Display Adapters, click plus-sign, double-click the detailed item now revealed...click Driver tab, click uninstall, click OK.

Edited by hamluis, 14 September 2011 - 04:02 PM.

#3 blub

blub
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2011 - 04:03 PM

As it turns out, the computer (or monitor) changed the refresh rate to 70Hz, which caused it to display the 800x600 resolution incorrectly. I've never had this happen before though. Weird.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,887 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2011 - 04:32 PM

It's a Windos setting, I never give that one a thought...I just checked and my default on this monitor is 60.

All good now?

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users