Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Missing mystery file?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 TheAnt

TheAnt

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 AM

Posted 14 September 2011 - 03:15 PM

Running SP3, I opened My Computer today and noticed that under my drives there's a blank-named, missing-icon file in the folder. I have no idea what it is but it seems as though it's a system file/folder, apparently from Control Panel.

I have visual documentation as well of this mystery file:
http://i55.tinypic.com/2e516yw.png
http://i51.tinypic.com/2rrm80m.png

As you can see from the first file, the only options I have are 'Cut', 'Create Shortcut' and 'Delete.' Cut doesn't actually cut the file as I'm unable to paste it anywhere else afterward. Create Shortcut attempts to make a shortcut on the desktop, which then fails. Finally, as shown in picture two, Delete prompts me that if I delete it, I can restore it later using the Control Panel, but I have no idea what it is.

Any ideas as to what this may be? I attempted to System Restore to the last couple of restore points, each made over the past two days, but both System Restores failed and I'm certain any later ones will also fail.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,727 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 AM

Posted 14 September 2011 - 03:37 PM

IMO...the key question is whether all drives attached/installed...are accurately depicted in My Computer.

What does Disk Managment reflect?

Louis

http://www.worldstart.com/show-the-control-panel-in-my-computer/

Edited by hamluis, 14 September 2011 - 03:41 PM.

#3 TheAnt

TheAnt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 AM

Posted 14 September 2011 - 06:32 PM

Well I enabled the Control Panel to be viewed in My Computer, but the file is still there, right below Control Panel.

All drives are healthy and securely installed. There are no unknown drives, I recognize everything.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,727 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 AM

Posted 15 September 2011 - 07:30 AM

IMO, the fact that you have SR failures and this anomaly...would suggest that something is amiss with your system.

Ignoring the possbility of malware, I would try doing either a repair install or running the sfc /scannow command.

I would run the chkdsk /r command before doing either...it could just be a file system anomaly...there doesn't seem to be much to go on what has transpired or why.

Start/Run...type chkdsk /r and hit Enter. Type Y in new screen and hit Enter. Reboot, the command will execute before booting into Windows.

System manufacturer and model?

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users