Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installation Disk Help!

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 swood91

swood91

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 AM

Posted 14 September 2011 - 02:59 PM

I tried to downgrade the version of Windows Media Player i currently have installed on my laptop so i posted in Microsoft's help centre
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/itprovistaapps/thread/540a3116-03fc-4dc9-8de5-b63f9d5cbdb9

As you can see by my second post something went wrong and now WMP doesn't work. A couple posts below that a member said i should use an installation disk to fix the problem and perhaps try again. She said that i may mean some of the programs i have will be deleted.

My question is am i able to make a new installation disk as i can't find the one that came with my laptop and am i able to set it up so that it only replaces WMP files so i don't have to risk losing any of my other programs?

Thanks in advance
swood

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:12:11 AM

Posted 14 September 2011 - 05:48 PM

FIrst question, did a disk come with your laptop?

Many computer manufacturers no longer include the disks with their systems. What they do is include a recovery partition which is loaded with the files needed to recover (reinstall the OS).

Click the Computer icon on your desktop or from the Start Menu.

If the computer has a recovery partition you may be able to use that. You should also be able to make an install disk from the partition.

#3 swood91

swood91
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2011 - 02:05 PM

I do have a drive called RECOVERY (D:). So i just burn it to a disk using ImgBurn or similar and run it?

Do you know which folder the recovery disk will replace. Then i can work out which programs i've installed that it'll delete so i can re-install them once it's done. Or is it possible to only have it fix WMP?

Thanks a lot
swood

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 15 September 2011 - 04:52 PM

I don't anything other than the fact that you can probably create your own disks.

To find out what you need in order to do so go to your Start Menu, All Programs.

Look for something with your computer name (HP, Compaq, Dell,etc) and see if anything mentions recovery and/or disks.

If you find it, click on it, and it should tell you what you need to burn the disks.

What is the make and model of your system?

#5 Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2011 - 11:49 AM

Hi, how long ago did you do all this?
You may be able to go back to a date before this all happened, which will give you back the Windows Media Player as it was, using system restore.
To do so, click start, then in the search box type or copy and paste=

System Restore

In the box that opens, select "Restore this computer to an earlier point in time"
In the next window to open click "Open System Restore"

In the next smaller window to open there will be maybe two restore points shown, they may not go back far enough, so put a tick in the small box for "Show more restore points"
You should then see a list of all previous restore points that have been created on your computer.
If you have not done a system restore before, it will go right back to when Service pack 1 was installed.
Choose an early enough date to be sure that it was before you first upset the media player.
Be warned that any program you installed after that date will have to be re-installed, also any program you removed after that date will return.

Nev.
Why all the fuss, I already have Windows 8. Three windows at the front, and five at the back since I bought the house.
Posted Image

#6 swood91

swood91
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2011 - 12:53 PM

Hi, how long ago did you do all this?
You may be able to go back to a date before this all happened, which will give you back the Windows Media Player as it was, using system restore.
To do so, click start, then in the search box type or copy and paste=

System Restore

In the box that opens, select "Restore this computer to an earlier point in time"
In the next window to open click "Open System Restore"

In the next smaller window to open there will be maybe two restore points shown, they may not go back far enough, so put a tick in the small box for "Show more restore points"
You should then see a list of all previous restore points that have been created on your computer.
If you have not done a system restore before, it will go right back to when Service pack 1 was installed.
Choose an early enough date to be sure that it was before you first upset the media player.
Be warned that any program you installed after that date will have to be re-installed, also any program you removed after that date will return.

Nev.

Thank you Nev.
It happened about a month a half ago. I have a purchased version of Avast of my computer which was installed after WMP died. Will the paid license still be active if i have to re-install it?

Thank you
Sam

#7 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2011 - 12:59 PM

As long as you have the key and your subscription hasn't expired you won't have to pay for it again.

#8 swood91

swood91
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2011 - 11:02 AM

Sorry i've been meaning to get back to this thread for a long time. The restore points in the System Restore program were from quite a few days after me trying to downgrade WMP 12. I do have a recovery, but if its replaced with a new recovery version like the System Restore program then its useless.

If the only option is to find an installation disk should i just find/buy/download one? If so where's the best place to find one?

My laptops a HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook PC

Thank you
swood

#9 swood91

swood91
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2011 - 05:33 PM

Is there no way for me to download WMP without fixing the registry for WMP12?

Thanks a lot
swood

#10 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 PM

Posted 02 December 2011 - 06:59 PM

Hi -
If you are desperate, you might try what I did with my Toshiba Satellite laptop.
A quick call to Toshiba Support provided me with Genuine Toshiba Recovery DVDs.
About $60 (Australian) including door to door delivery. Not sure on HP DVDs / CDs for cost.

I made a copy and an internal backup after that just to be sure.

Good Luck -

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users