Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Anyone Know?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 merthyrblue

merthyrblue

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 PM

Posted 21 January 2006 - 05:07 PM

I would like to set-up an horizontal scroller on a sports web page i'm building but haven't got a clue how to link it to the BBC's results service for instance. Could someone help me out here please. Thanks MB

(Moderator edit: clarified topic title and moved to more appropriate forum. jgweed)

Edited by jgweed, 21 January 2006 - 07:38 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 AM

Posted 21 January 2006 - 10:26 PM

It depends how the data is being publically presented. If it is only being presented as a web-page (html), then you pretty much have to resort to "screen-scraping", which means creating some kind of script that will parse the raw source code for the web-page to retrieve the data that you want. First, that is sometimes really difficult to do. ANd once you have your script, one little alteration of how they present their information will break your script.

The other option is if the web-site from which you are getting results has some type of web-service with which you can interface using some sort of standard api. Perl tends to be popular for this (shudder), but sometimes they are written in C++ or Java. I rather doubt that any news service is going to have any public interfaces though.

I did a quick search, and I couldn't find any web-services that would fit the bill. I see that the BBC has text only versions.. those would be much easier to use for screen-scraping. They are horrendously slow though...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users