Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

indepth customization of folder settings question

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 joselorenzomaldonado

joselorenzomaldonado

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 AM

Posted 14 September 2011 - 01:21 PM

Hi everyone! Hope you are all doing wonderfully.

I can't seem to find an answer for this question anywhere on the Microsoft forum. I've looked for days, and the only answers I get there direct me to MS' help file that do not specify what I am asking about in the first place.

Can I apply one folder's "view details settings" to an entire group of other folders.
Scenario: I am a digital multimedia artist with large collection of Images, Videos, and Audio Files. I am organizing my mess, files upon files strewn about thousands of unnecessary folders. I am trying to separate personal music & videos from work files.

I started this endeavor with the audio files, as their meta-tags are easier to update in windows. I was able to successfully organize a dozen "albums" into their own folders in My Music. Each album folder is set as follows:
Track, Name (of file), duration, bit rate, size, year, and in some cases Album Title, Artist, Type (see attachment). The later 3 are unnecessary in my vision because each album would already be in its own folder, and each artist has their own folder that contains all of their albums.

The closest thing to applying this customization is "apply to all folders" via the folder options menu. So I've been modifying each album folder manually. It's counter intuitive, I assume there is some more expedient way of applying these setting across a several folders at once. It makes no sense to have music settings in my videos, Photoshop, word document, etc folders, which is is why I have not used the "apply to all folders" option.

Any help is super awesome appreciated! Thanks so much in advance.
-JLM

Attached Files

Edited by joselorenzomaldonado, 14 September 2011 - 01:27 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,131 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2011 - 01:40 PM

<<Can I apply one folder's "view details settings" to an entire group of other folders.>>

If I wanted to do such...I'd just put all the desired folders...in a new directory/folder I would create...then apply desired settings to master folder. All that's required then is to assert the same settings for all subordinate files/folders in that folder/directory.

I do that with my video and audio files. I group my data folders by type of file (.doc, auido, graphics, etc.).

Louis

#3 joselorenzomaldonado

joselorenzomaldonado
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2011 - 07:54 PM

thanks so much!
it seems like the most obvious thing in the world that i literally smacked my forehead... then i tried it and it didn't work :-\ all the folders stayed the same.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users