Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is Political Correctness Politically Incorrect in itself?

• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

#1 lora777

lora777

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 PM

Posted 14 September 2011 - 01:12 PM

Will Political Correctness eventually stop all debating? ..In my opinion it nearly has... What do you all think? ..And if it does.. what will the end result be?

Edited by lora777, 15 September 2011 - 12:05 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 lora777

lora777
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2011 - 12:01 PM

I believe political correctness is doing away with debating and opposing opinions and dictatorship is moving in... Isn't it worth putting up with the percentage that would abuse freedom-of-speech in order to have it?

Edited by lora777, 15 September 2011 - 12:04 PM.

#3 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2011 - 12:47 PM

I know I am going to regret this, but.........

You are not talking about PC. PC is simply respecting others. You are talking about intolerance towards others that do not agree with one's point of view.

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,747 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 PM

Posted 15 September 2011 - 03:37 PM

As an example of PC gone amok per Groovicus' explanation, which I happen to agree with.

There was a discussion generated stating that 'manhole and or manhole cover' was not 'politically correct'. This was due the increasing number of female workers in the field going in and out of manholes to fulfill their job descriptions. Keep in mind this was back in the 70's the discussion came up.

The replacement term that resulted for manhole and manhole cover was........... Manhole = Subterranean Personnel and Equipment Vault, Manhole Cover = Subterranean Ingress and Egress Aperture Cover.

Needless to say even the women thought that was ludicrous.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#5 lora777

lora777
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2011 - 05:26 PM

What I have noticed since all this political correctness has started, is one side claiming they are offended every time they are disagreed with. But on the other hand, these same people will say whatever cruel criticisms comes to mind.

At some point, I see someone in charge (president/dictator) totally calling the shots on what can or cannot be said and to whom it can be said, by the way it is escalating.

I'm afraid the PC crowd is so far removed from the horrors of tyrannical dictatorship..they do not realize it can happen even in the United States.

Edited by lora777, 15 September 2011 - 05:29 PM.

#6 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,747 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2011 - 09:25 PM

Which side are you referring to that is being offended? I'm not clear on who is so far removed from these horrors you mention.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

#7 Required Field

Required Field

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2011 - 04:51 PM

I think I see where you're going with this. First, we make language taboo, and if people can't monitor their own speech, then we make it illegal. After the "Speech Police," then come the "Thought Police." I don't think anyone, in the United States, anyway, will ever be imprisoned for hurting someone's feelings, which, in my opinion, is what political correctness is all about, but you can bet people can, will, and have been sued over such things...for example, I read about a woman who tried to sue her doctor because he told her she was fat. Medically, he was probably right, and had the responsibility, as her doctor, to let her know the risks involved with her obesity. But she didn't like how being called fat, true or not, made her feel, so she lawyered up. Personally, I think political correctness is just silly. Of course we should be sensitive towards others, but we should not become slaves to a new, tortured language that tries to make everything sound inoffensive by adding a few syllables. To me, it's a manhole cover. There is no difference between an actor and an actress, except that one is male and one is female... but what's wrong with acknowledging that men and women are, in fact, different? And if I'm wrong on that, then why did the kid who served me my meal last night call herself my "waitress" instead of my waiter or server? I'm OK with "letter carriers" or "postal workers." I've got no beef with "firefighters" or any other non-gender specific title, but a manhole is a manhole, for crying out loud. As George Carlin once said, "that's the kind of sh!t you hear about on Late Night with David Letterperson!" :crazy:
"Most quotes attributed to famous people on the internet are fake." -Abraham Lincoln

#8 MissPlaced

MissPlaced

• Members
  • 929 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 PM

Posted 16 September 2011 - 05:10 PM

@ Required Field,
So "Carlin's in da house again :lol: :lol:

@ lora777,
I gotta agree with "Required Fields" opinion....
To me it's kinda like standin in a beautiful field of roses, their's a few "meadow
muffin's" around, and some folk's are gettin so upset at the "Medow Muffin's" that
their missin the beauty of the ROSE'S....
A horse is a horse, you go lookin for a zebra in a field of thorbreds and you're
gonna be wastein your time and energy.
We can all respect each other's opinion's with out it turnin into a nasty confrontation....

RESPECTFULLY
MissPlaced

You want to be great, Learn how to heal people, To hurt people is easy

Be Kinder then you have to be,you never know what battle someone else is fighting~~~
~~~~Martrys song~~~~~
~~~~My Deliverer~~~~~~

#9 lora777

lora777
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2011 - 08:15 PM

I don't have the heart to continue this.

Ya'll have a great evening.

Good-night

#10 MissPlaced

MissPlaced

• Members
  • 929 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2011 - 09:36 AM

@ lora777
WHY??

Be Kinder then you have to be,you never know what battle someone else is fighting~~~
~~~~Martrys song~~~~~
~~~~My Deliverer~~~~~~

#11 lora777

lora777
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2011 - 01:42 PM

This is the way it is, I'm so very sad to say.

The Politically Correct Crowd came of age and got a free pass when Obama got in office.

Things will never be the same and they will still be blaming the Christians, the Conservatives and the anti abortionists for everything, even to the end.

I used to think, when they would see the devastating results, they would then get the big picture.

I no longer hold to that belief.

Edited by lora777, 20 September 2011 - 03:51 PM.

#12 MissPlaced

MissPlaced

• Members
  • 929 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2011 - 09:03 PM

@ lora777,
actually The PCC aren't any different then say my sister....
If the sun don't rise right, it's my fault....If the Moondoesn't rise right, it's
my fault :lol: I'm a Big Girl and i see no need to get my under roos in a twist
over her opinion, it's her opinion and she's entitled to it....she's wrong..but she's
entitled to it :lol: :lol:

The Pcc didn't get a "Free Pass" just because Barrack Obama became president..
They were around long before that in one form or another....when i was a teenager I
had a plaque on my wall that said "DIPLOMACY IS A WAY TO SAY THE NASTIEST THING IN
THE NICEST WAY"..To me those that want to use PC as a club to beat people over the
head are little more then spoiled children and not worth my time or effort...I didn't
rewards my kids for spoiled brat behavior, why should this be any different??
NOW True PC as Groovicus said is a different matter all together different.. I can respect
others opinions whether i agree with their opinion or not....
By definition, what your describing is Intolerence, the difference is huge,
I don't need anybody permission to believe what I believe and i don't need to convert
anybodyand beat them over the head with the Bible, people that have tried to do that
get on my last nerve!
just because somebody doesn't agree with my belief's, doesn't make them my enemy..
True PC is just respecting other's point's of view....
Intolerence....mean's their callin me "A CHRIST lovin nut case" at that point I have
2 choices, i can just blow em off or i can get DIPLOMATIC as all get out, and the
choice i make depends on their additude towards me,if their wantin to hurt me more
then they want air, Ichose the DIPLOMATIC Route...If they just misunderstood something
that I said then we can talk about it....
The world hasn't gone to hell in a hand basket just yet, there's still alot of good
in it,and IMHO, that's what we should be concentratin on, not the spoiled brat's.
RESPECTFULLY
MissPlaced

~~~~Martrys song~~~~~
~~~~My Deliverer~~~~~~

#13 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2011 - 07:47 PM

@lorra777; are you really trying to blame the current president for the state of things now? Really? Read some history of the concept. Or did you not mean to place the blame for the condition of the country on the current president, because that would be pretty difficult to even take seriously?

#14 lora777

lora777
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2011 - 08:03 PM

To groovicus,

Total blame? Oh no. But I do believe he is a Chicago thug that has been groomed and put into place to finish off our country.

Wait until the next one gets in.. Repub or Dem..we're in for some real scary times my friend.

Edited by lora777, 25 September 2011 - 08:04 PM.

#15 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,747 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2011 - 08:45 PM

Please be more specific so I can understand what it is you're saying. I have no idea who this and or these politically correct people you're referring to are. Not to mention who the alleged puppet masters that groomed and put our current president into office. I can't identify nor wish to assume who it is you mean.

Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users