Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Harddrive not accessible

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 DJTunafish

DJTunafish

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 PM

Posted 14 September 2011 - 12:54 PM

So, yesterady I doscovered that I suddenly couldnīt boot up my computer. After attempting to boot from a Windows 7 DVD I discovered that my computer couldnīt read DVD:s either. Quick investigation showed that the BIOS didnīt recognize either of my harddrives.

After discussing my problem for a bit with a friend, I decided to try plugging the drives into different ports in the motherboard. This kind of worked, since the BIOS recognizes one of the drives. The problem is that it canīt find the other one, which is the one that the OS is located on.

I have concluded that the cable is not faulty by using it on the other, functioning drive, nor is it the port that the faulty drive is connected to. The faulty drive also seems to be getting power. Does anyone have any idea if itīs possible to fix this problem, or do I just need to get a new drive? Itīs a OCZ Vertex Plus SATA II 2.5" SSD 60GB, if that helps.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Dave225

Dave225

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 AM

Posted 14 September 2011 - 01:03 PM

Can you get close enough to the failing drive to hear it?
If you hear any clicking - probably bad drive.

Or does it feel like it is spinning at all ; held in hand it will feel like a gyro if slightly tilted, if you cannot hear it spinning.

Compare it to the other drive ( sound, etc. )

#3 DJTunafish

DJTunafish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2011 - 01:45 PM

From what I hear, it doesnīt seem to be clicking at all, sounds fairly normal from what I can tell. I havenīt disconnected it and held it, but when I put my hand to it there is some vibration, so Iīd say that itīs spinning as it should. Iīm no expert in the subject, but it sounds fairly normal.

#4 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 PM

Posted 14 September 2011 - 01:54 PM

After discussing my problem for a bit with a friend, I decided to try plugging the drives into different ports in the motherboard. This kind of worked, since the BIOS recognizes one of the drives. The problem is that it canīt find the other one, which is the one that the OS is located on.

Could you try plugging one Hardrive and check does it recognized by BIOS or not? Plug your Hardrive one at time.
If your Hardrive recognized by BIOS that means your problem is not your Hardrive.

Could you provide more information about your Computer Brand and Model at your next post? If your Computer is Custom Build please provide information of specs of it.

:guitar: Take me to a place where time is frozen
You don't have to close your eyes to dream :busy:
You can find escape inside this moment :smash:
And I will follow  :whistle:

#5 DJTunafish

DJTunafish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2011 - 02:12 PM

Well, one of the harddrives is recognized by the BIOS and seems to be working properly, the other isn´t and doesn´t. And yeah, I´ve tried plugging them in one at a time, didn´t do anything. List of components in my computer follows.

Nvidia gtx 460(graphics card)
Intel core i7 950 3 GHZ (CPU)
Samsung Spinpoint F3(this is the functioning drive)
OCZ Vertex Plus SATA II 2.5" SSD 60GB(this is the non-functional drive)
Gigabyte X58A-UD3R, X58 1366, ATX(motherboard)
Corsair Dominator GT 6GB DDR3 PC3-16000 2000MHz 3x2GB (DDR3-RAM)

Edited by DJTunafish, 14 September 2011 - 02:13 PM.

#6 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2011 - 02:44 PM

Well, one of the harddrives is recognized by the BIOS and seems to be working properly, the other isnīt and doesnīt. And yeah, Iīve tried plugging them in one at a time, didnīt do anything. List of components in my computer follows.

Do you have another Computer to test your SSD Hardrive? If yes please plug it to another Computer.
If you SSD Hardrive detected on another Computer then this was your problem

Gigabyte X58A-UD3R, X58 1366, ATX(motherboard)

There was some SSD issues on that Mainboard.
But Please try to test your SSD on another Computer just to make sure that your SSD is still working before test your Mainboard.

#7 DJTunafish

DJTunafish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2011 - 04:09 PM

Yeah, I do have another computer, I´ll try putting the SSD in there when I have the time. But in case it does work, how would I go about testing the motherboard?

Edited by DJTunafish, 14 September 2011 - 04:10 PM.

#8 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 AM

Posted 14 September 2011 - 04:55 PM

99% not the motherboard

More likely if you go here, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227738 and read the reviews you will understand the root of your undetected OCZ SSD.

Examples:
Pros: No idea because drive cant hold any data.
Cons: That OCZ would put their name on it.

Pros: Did not explode, knocking me unconscious for an entire weekend.
Cons: I kind of wish it had. That would have been preferable to wasting my weekend trying to get it to work

Visit the OCZ forums, do a RMA if you can it seems that this drive is very unreliable.
After reading the reviews on different brands and models I concluded to go with Intel SSD, Samsung seems to be decent too.

http://www.ocztechnology.com/support

Edited by rotor123, 14 September 2011 - 05:01 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#9 DJTunafish

DJTunafish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2011 - 06:54 AM

Huh, well, those review were definetely enlightening.

Also, yeah, the drive is definetely dead. Tried in in another comp, didnīt work. I also heard some clicking when I plugged it into the other computer, I think it was drowned out by the fans in my main computer.

So, any reccomendations for a new drive that doesnīt suck as much?

#10 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2011 - 07:43 AM

So you problem is your SSD is dead not your Mainboard. Sorry to hear that.

#11 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2011 - 09:47 AM

Huh, well, those review were definetely enlightening.

Also, yeah, the drive is definetely dead. Tried in in another comp, didnīt work. I also heard some clicking when I plugged it into the other computer, I think it was drowned out by the fans in my main computer.

So, any reccomendations for a new drive that doesnīt suck as much?

BTW you should not even hear noise from a SSD as it has no moving parts.

Read the user reviews before leaping.

I have bought Intel, Samsung and Kingston. Being careful to avoid a SSD with a Sandforce controller as those seem to be the ones that have problems. Bad part is they get good reviews from the review sites cause they are among the fastest.

Even Intel has had to release a firmware update for their 320Series. OTOH I believe it will be reliable with the firmware update. Also they give the 320Series a 5 year warranty. I believe the Samsung and Kingston have a robust garbage collection making them better for older OSes before Win7. I also believe from my reading that Samsung has sold a fair amount of OEM versions to computer makers such as Apple.

Edited by rotor123, 15 September 2011 - 09:51 AM.

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#12 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2011 - 09:50 AM

One other though with regards to SSD drives. Not filling them full will generally make them last longer due to wear leveling having more room to work with. I use approx. 1/2 of mine. Windows for example writes to the registry at shut down. It is the writes that cause wear no the reads.

167 @ June 2015

#13 Dave225

Dave225

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 AM

Posted 15 September 2011 - 06:31 PM

OOPPPPPs, I did not notice the SSD reference on the initial post.

Yep, no clicking could be heard ; solid state --- no moving parts.

Sorry about that.

You may want to look at the Crucial M4 SSD.

Edited by Dave225, 15 September 2011 - 06:33 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users