Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Toshiba laptop won't boot

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 kemperhills

kemperhills

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 AM

Posted 14 September 2011 - 11:33 AM

I bought my son a Toshiba Satellite C655-S5132 laptop running Windows 7 for Christmas. He used the laptop about a week ago, and a couple of days ago tried to use it and it won't boot. Most of the time when the computer is turned on there is simply a blank screen. Sometimes a scree will show up that has Toshiba's name on it with F2 go to utility manager and F12 go to boot manager in the bottom left corner then a blank screen. Then sometimes it screen with Toshiba's name and the F2 and F12 will show up and them after a while something that looks like and underline that is blinking will show up in the upper left hand corner and there will appear a message that says ...

Intel UNDI, PXE-2.0 (build 083)

ForAtheros PCIE Ethernet Controller v2.0.1.9(12/15/09)

Check cable connection
PXE-MOF: Exiting Intel PXE Rom.
No bootable device--insert boot disk and press any key

When it opens pressing F2 in Setup Utility the system date is correct, the System Date is correct and Language is in English. You can enter these three and change them. But the CPu Type, Cpu Speed, HDD/SSD, Total memoy Size, an Sytem Bios Version cannot be selected or entere.

The boot manager can be entered and the boot sequence can be changed. Nothing else can be done, can't even enter safe mode.

So does anyone have any idea why this laptop won't boot. Or is the computer history. We have lost the receipt so Toshiba won't talk about repair.

The computer was on sale for a little over $300 so to take it to a computer repair place will probably cost more that simply getting another computer on sale.

Thanks for any help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 PM

Posted 14 September 2011 - 12:31 PM

It should still be under warranty. Normal warranty is one year or two year. AFAIK you shouldn't need the receipt unless you bought a NOS laptop. New Old Stock.

Go to this web page and enter serial number and model part number. It will do a warranty entitlement lookup.
http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/support/jsp/globalEntitlement.jsp?nav=Warranty

I could also look it up by serial number only if you PM it to me

Note that the Serial number and model part number are on the bottom and that C655-S5132 is not the model part number as the model part number usually starts with a P

It sounds like the hard drive may have died. That webpage will tell you warranty and give a phone number you can call for Toshiba to send you a box to ship the laptop back for repairs if under warranty. If under warranty there is no charge.

Note also that normal warranty does not cover cosmetic defects like missing key or physical damage such as a broken screen. Your problem does sound like a warranty defect that will be covered.

Edited by rotor123, 14 September 2011 - 12:34 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2011 - 12:54 PM

You can see if it is the hard drive by removing the drive. If the Toshiba logo come up normal with no hard drive. Then the drive is bad and worst case you buy a drive and if you did not create the recovery discs you order them from Toshiba. Cost approx $100 to $150

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#4 kemperhills

kemperhills
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2011 - 06:23 PM

It should still be under warranty. Normal warranty is one year or two year. AFAIK you shouldn't need the receipt unless you bought a NOS laptop. New Old Stock.

Go to this web page and enter serial number and model part number. It will do a warranty entitlement lookup.
http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/support/jsp/globalEntitlement.jsp?nav=Warranty

I could also look it up by serial number only if you PM it to me

Note that the Serial number and model part number are on the bottom and that C655-S5132 is not the model part number as the model part number usually starts with a P

It sounds like the hard drive may have died. That webpage will tell you warranty and give a phone number you can call for Toshiba to send you a box to ship the laptop back for repairs if under warranty. If under warranty there is no charge.

Note also that normal warranty does not cover cosmetic defects like missing key or physical damage such as a broken screen. Your problem does sound like a warranty defect that will be covered.

Thanks for the reply. I went to the link you supplied and it required a purchase date before it would check on the warranty. We are trying to see if the dealer we bought the computer from has a record of when it was bought.

Thanks again.

#5 kemperhills

kemperhills
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2011 - 06:25 PM

You can see if it is the hard drive by removing the drive. If the Toshiba logo come up normal with no hard drive. Then the drive is bad and worst case you buy a drive and if you did not create the recovery discs you order them from Toshiba. Cost approx $100 to $150

Thanks for the reply. Yes that is an option, but as we only paid just over $300 dollars for the computer on sale, by the time we spend money for a new SSD and the recovery discs we might just look for another laptop on sale. But thanks for the info, and, if needed, we will do that. Thanks again.

#6 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2011 - 09:33 AM

You should be able to use a regular SATA laptop drive. I find it hard to believe it has a SSD drive and sold for that price. A regular hard drive should cost around $79 depending on the size. From what I'm seeing it has a regular 250Gb SATA hard drive not a SSD.
A SSD 300Gb would cost over $500.

If you want to PM me the serial number I can look it up on a Toshiba website not open to the public.

On that model
"Standard Limited Warranty*
1-Yr Parts and Labor, 1-Year Battery"

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users