Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I want to be a computer tech - Suggestions on best path needed..

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Ximo

Ximo

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 AM

Posted 14 September 2011 - 06:06 AM

Hi guys!

If you are a computer tech and have advice on which path / field you would recommend pursuing in the computer field -
I would love to hear from you!

I have decided (at 36years old) that I want to change careers, and become a computer technician. My initial research
has told me that there are various different fields under this title - e.g. information security, information management etc...
Also there are so many different Certificates - Diplomas; then Doctorate - PHD - Masters... What do I actualy NEED to
get a job with computers? Is On-line / Tafe / or University the best option?

If you can save me a heap of time and effort (not to mention $) by telling me of courses/qualifications that are a waste of
time, or courses/ qualifications that you would recommend or deem essential, it would be greatly appreciated...

As I am entering the field late in the game I would love to avoid as many mistakes as possible, and get the most useful
qualifications in the shortest time - ending in a good job.

If you have been through the process - and could go back and do it all over again - what would you do differently?

Do you rate your job as the best type of job under the banner 'Computer Technician'? Do you enjoy it?
-or-
Which field would you pick if you knew then (when you first decided to be a computer tech), what you know now?

What is the WORST field to get into - what area should I avoid! I am keen to learn from your your experience...

I love computers and enjoy: building / fixing / upgrading / fighting viruses / creating (web pages - movies - music) using
software / downloading - installing / optimizing... I love new programs and utilities... not so much into the programming
or gaming side... I would also love to work from home if I could... but I think I will be happy as long as I am playing with
computers and getting paid - lol. Job enjoyment / satisfaction rates over earnings...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 PM

Posted 14 September 2011 - 08:28 AM

You have also posted the question in General Chat, a more appropriate forum for getting answers, since this forum in strictly for introductions. I am sure you will get several perspectives on your career path there.
Welcome to BC, and thanks for joining.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users