I was browsing using firefox and have an add-on called "snap-links" on it. This allows me to open multiple links using my right click button. However, when I was attempting to do this I opened every single link on a page. Firefox crashed about 5 minutes later, and I thought it was just a regular crash. When I tried to restart it "googleupdater.exe" showed up asking for verification.
At this point I knew I was infected because it was by an unknown publisher. I clicked cancel, and another one popped up and so on. So I opened up task-manager and the googleupdater.exe was minimized and I ended its process. I googled my problem but firefox crashed yet again. This time it closed everything, changed my theme/style to windows basic for a second (at least seemed like it) and everything was hidden but my wallpaper, and then reverted back to Windows Areo. I noticed my FireFox icon on my desktop was removed, along with all the items on my quicklaunch toolbar. I continued to Google what it was, and firefox crashed one more time.
This time several dialogue boxes popped up (Talking 50+)saying my harddrive has failed and it asked me to scan or "delay" my scan. So I once again opened up task manager and ended the process and all dialogue boxes closed. I should note that all these dialogue boxed look like bad jpg pictures, and not actual boxes. (EDIT : I just looked under Program Data, and sorted by Date Modified again and the process which launched the dialogue boxes is here. It is called ixgPHgbBMPf.exe. This was the process I ended. The icon for is its a red circle with an X in it. Furthermore, when scanning with either ESET or Malware Bytes, both say it is not a virus. I have deleted it, and have emptied my recycle bin).I started firefox again, and googleupdater.exe showed up again, this time it was harder to end the process but I managed. Now everything was hidden on my desktop, I had very little processed in windows task manager running, and many other things on my computer are hidden. They are not deleted as my harddrive still has the same amount of space taken up.
I have since disconnected the infected computer from the internet and am typing this from a laptop. I checked systems32 and sorted everything by last modified. Only two files were updated that day and just 3 minutes prior from the time the whole mess started. One is called "7b296fb0-497e-b012-9c450e173247-2p-0.c7483456-a289-f39d-8115-601632d005a0" and the other called "7b296fb0-497e-b012-9c450e173247-2p-1.c7483456-a289-f39d-8115-601632d005a0". The only thing I have to try and resolve this is run the free version of Malware bytes, but upon scanning the above two things it said it wasn't a virus. A quick-scan provided no results either. ESET NOD32 didn't bring up any results either.
I do not want to reformat etc. because I do not want to lose my data. My last backup of files was from two weeks ago, but my last restore point is from a month and a half ago. Also, I have not shutdown the computer yet in fear of the virus getting worse. Sorry if this post contains unnecessary information as well.
Edited by Captain., 14 September 2011 - 01:39 AM.