Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

win xp blue screens, yeah!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 michaelhallsted

michaelhallsted

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 PM

Posted 14 September 2011 - 12:14 AM

hello,

briefly, my work is 2 people, me and my boss, we have 3 computers on our LAN.
the network aware accounting software is on an xp home computer and my boss and i connect to it over the LAN, from our own computers. essentially, we use shortcuts to the accounting software. my boss's 8 year old computer needs replacing, so when the business next to us closed down, i told him to buy one of their nice new 3yr old dell computers with xp pro on it. since we don't have internet at work, i took it home, cleaned it up, uninstalled a bunch of un-needed software with revo uninstaller, got it all updated with microsoft and other programs, checked it out for malware with superantispyware and malwarebytes ( none found ), and thought i was done. it is actually a nice speedy computer and boots quickly and works great.

so i took it back into work, hooked it into our LAN, mapped a network drive to the accounting software on the xp home computer, created my shortcut, and when i try to run the accounting program, the nice "new to us" dell computer blue screens. in fact, running any program on any of the other computers, from the new dell computer, blue screens it. even small stand alone window programs. but installing and running programs, locally on the computer itself works fine.

i'm am in the process of checking the accounting computer for malware with superantispyware and malwarebytes, but none found so far. i just don't know what to think... i changed the network settings for workgroup and static ip to match our LAN, looked at the privacy settings in the internet options in the control panel for local network, and unchecked the top box for auto detect settings. copying and moving files back and forth is not a problem...

the business next to us was like an employment agency for nurses, so i don't know for HIPAA if they had to do any strange to xp pro to secure it differently than i am used to. they had a windows server and ran programs from that...

i'm just out of ideas, the computer is fine with any and all local programs that i have installed on it, there does not appear to be malware any where, but running a program from the dell, over the LAN, blue screens it.... does xp pro have some secret settings some where that i don't know about? or BIOS settings maybe....

anyway, thanks for reading, and thanks in advance for any suggestions.

michael hallsted

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,281 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 PM

Posted 14 September 2011 - 06:47 AM

Good morning :).

Reference on the more common blue screens, also known as STOP errors, Aumha STOP Errors - http://www.aumha.org/a/stop.htm .

As you can see...telling us that you have "blue screens" isn't exactly informative information. More exact data on the errors that you get would be a much better start.

Let's try this.

Download/install BlueScreenView, http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html .

Double-click BlueScreenView.exe file.

When autoscan is done (screen comes up), click Edit/Select All...then File/Save Selected Items.

Save the report as BSOD.txt.

Open BSOD.txt in Notepad, copy all content and paste it into your next reply.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 14 September 2011 - 06:48 AM.

#3 michaelhallsted

michaelhallsted
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2011 - 12:16 AM

ok, thanks, blue screen viewer it is.
i guess i was hoping that the symptom sounded familiar to some one,
who might have a ready made answer or suggestions.
i've been a mac person for some years now, so this is puzzling to me.
i'll let you know how it goes.
michael

Edited by michaelhallsted, 15 September 2011 - 12:18 AM.

#4 michaelhallsted

michaelhallsted
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2011 - 11:42 PM

blue screen viewer is pretty cool. here is the BSOD file:

==================================================
Dump File : MEMORY.DMP
Crash Time : 9/13/2011 5:38:14 PM
Bug Check String : KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
Bug Check Code : 0x0000008e
Parameter 1 : 0xc0000005
Parameter 2 : 0x6191418b
Parameter 3 : 0xee04bce0
Parameter 4 : 0x00000000
Caused By Driver :
Caused By Address :
File Description :
Product Name :
Company :
File Version :
Processor : 32-bit
Crash Address :
Stack Address 1 :
Stack Address 2 :
Stack Address 3 :
Computer Name :
Full Path : C:\WINDOWS\MEMORY.DMP
Processors Count : 2
Major Version : 15
Minor Version : 2600
Dump File Size : 534,855,680

according to Aumha STOP Errors

0x0000008E: KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

A kernel mode program generated an exception which the error handler didn't catch.
These are nearly always hardware compatibility issues
(which sometimes means a driver issue or a need for a BIOS upgrade).

well, ok... i am in the process of downloading the drivers and BIOS update from Dell.
i'll get them installed, and see if i still have the problem. i'll let you know how it goes.

i have no idea what the parameters 1 thru 4 might mean or how they fit in.
google only produced results for parameter 1... and talked about disabling newly installed services,
on this particular computer, the other place had all of the google "stuff" installed, like google earth
and google this and google that... we don't have internet so i uninstalled all of that stuff.
then with winternals process viewer, there were 2 services still active, they were both google updater
services for something google related... i don't know how to delete them, so i disabled the services.

if the driver & BIOS updates don't fix the problem, i think i'll turn those 2 google update services back
on to start automatically and see if that does anything. i don't see how that would matter, but who knows.

anyway, thanks again, and if you know how the parameters fit in, i am always eager to learn.

take care,
michael hallsted

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,281 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 PM

Posted 16 September 2011 - 08:16 AM

The parameters are used by those knowledgeable enough to truly pinpoint specifics of error messages...but I am not one of those persons :).

Many of us use BlueScreenView because it is simpler and more direct at pointing out generalized indications of what is wrong.

In your case, the key info is missing...Caused By Driver reflects nothing.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users