Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP with Multiple Booting issues

• Please log in to reply
127 replies to this topic

#1 dajap

dajap

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 PM

Posted 13 September 2011 - 11:32 PM

So I recently installed some windows updates on my desktop and then I started getting some crazy boot errors. I would get Kernal_stack_inpage_error or on some reboots I'd get unmountable boot volume. When I boot up now, the CPU gets to the page where it says Microsoft Windows XP and then it restarts itself automatically and then gives me the option to boot XP home edition or Windows recovery console for about 2 seconds and then I get the option to try it in all the safe modes (which don't work because it gets stuck at gagp30kx.sys and then automatically reboots). If I choose last know good configuration, it just reboots itself. It's become a cycle that never stops with the reboots. I've gotten a blue screen that tells me run chkdsk /f but if I can't boot xp that does me no good. This old desktop didn't come with the installation disk either. I've searched all around but nobody else seems to have this exact issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Chris

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 AM

Posted 14 September 2011 - 02:33 AM

I've gotten a blue screen that tells me run chkdsk /f but if I can't boot xp that does me no good.

chkdsk (chkdsk /f is one option) can be run from the Recovery Console which it seems, you already have installed on the system to boot into. HOWEVER ... given some of your "crazy boot errors" ... I recommend that you first run the hard drive manufacturer's diagnostic utility, because I suspect your hard drive may be failing.

What is the brand (manufacturer's name) of the hard drive in question?

To determine the hard drive manufacturer ... there are two ways you could do this:
  • Open the box and read the label on the hard drive (you may have to remove the hard drive to see the label?).
  • Enter the BIOS Setup Menu, and look at the information presented about the hard drive that is detected (if you have more than one hard drive, make sure it is the one that your Windows system is on): It will probably display the model number ... if not the brand name ... and then we can check that model number to determine the manufacturer.
    Start tapping the appropriate key (usually the DELETE key) after powering-on the system, to enter the BIOS Setup Menu:
    How To Access the BIOS Setup Utility
Please let us know that information and I will be able to link you to the correct tool to download, and provide instructions to run the test.

Edit: Correct BBCode

Edited by AustrAlien, 14 September 2011 - 06:24 PM.

AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#3 dajap

dajap
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2011 - 05:44 PM

What is the brand (manufacturer's name) of the hard drive in question?

AustrAlien - Thank you for the help. This is some of the info off of the H/D.

Seagate
Model: ST3200822AS
P/N: 9W2854-131

#4 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2011 - 06:14 PM

Test a Seagate manufactured hard disk drive using SeaTools for DOS run from a bootable CD.

:step1: Please download SeaTools for DOS (CD) from Seagate's SeaTools for DOS web page

or use the following direct download link to download the latest version of SeaTools for DOS:
Download SeaTools for DOS ISO Image

The downloaded file name is SeaToolsDOS223ALL.ISO
[/list]
:step2: Burn the downloaded .ISO image to a CD using the appropriate burning software.
  • If you do not already have a suitable burning program for writing .ISO images to disc ...
    • Download and install ImgBurn.
      Ensure that you UN-check the box agreeing to install the Ask toolbar during the installation.
    • Place a new (blank) CD disc in the drive tray.
    • Choose Write image file to disc.
    • Under Source, click on the Browse button: Navigate to and select the .ISO file that you wish to burn.
    • Place a check-mark in the box beside Verify.
  • Click Posted Image

When the CD has been burned and verified as successful, it will be bootable.

:step3: Boot from the CD.
  • (You may need to access the BIOS Setup Menu or the Boot Menu and change the boot order to enable booting from CD before hard drive.)
  • From Basic tests on the Main Menu, run the Short test and then the Long test.

(The long test will take some considerable time to complete.)
    The results will be shown as either a PASS or FAIL.
    There is a chance that during the Long test, you may be offered the opportunity to attempt repairs on the hard drive:
  • If so, go ahead and attempt to do so, but ONLY after backing up all important personal files.
[/list]Note: You may wish to view the following ...
Please let us know the results of the tests.
AustrAlien

Posted Image

#5 dajap

dajap
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2011 - 06:36 PM

I've managed to burn the disk and it booted it up on the CPU. The short test failed right away so it is currently doing the long test. How do I go about backing up all the files?

#6 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2011 - 06:40 PM

If your computer is not able to boot into Windows or simply not able to access the internet, you can use a LIVE Linux operating system run from a bootable CD or flashdrive instead of Windows, to access the internet, to access files on the HDD(s) and do other tasks.

:step1: Using a working computer:
  • If you wish to use a LIVE CD ...
  • Download the Linux version of your choice (usually an .ISO image file).
  • There are many options to use for a LIVE CD. I suggest that you try one of the following:
  • Puppy Linux (download file size 128 MB)
  • Ubuntu (download file size almost 700 MB)
[*]Burn the .ISO image to CD: If you do not already have a suitable burning program for writing .ISO images to disc ...
  • Ensure that you UN-check the box agreeing to install the Ask toolbar during the installation.
    • Under Source, click on the Browse button: Navigate to and select the .ISO file that you wish to burn.
  • Click Posted Image
[*]When the CD has been burned and verified as successful, it will be bootable.
[/list][*]OR ... if you wish to use a LIVE flashdrive ...
  • Go to UNetbootin - Homepage and Downloads and at the top of the page, click on Download (for Windows) to download the application.
  • Follow the instructions further down the page under the heading Installation & Screenshots.
  • Run the application to download and install the Linux version of choice to your flashdrive.
  • I suggest that you try one of the following:
  • Puppy Linux (download file size 128 MB)
  • Ubuntu (download file size almost 700 MB).
[/list][/list]
:step2: Boot the problematic machine from the LIVE CD or flashdrive.
  • (You may have to configure the Boot Menu or BIOS Setup Menu to boot first from the optical/CD drive or the flashdrive, which ever you are using.)
  • Choose to run the Linux operating system from the CD or flashdrive without making any changes to your computer.
    Do NOT install Linux on your hard drive.
  • When the Linux operating system loads ...
  • You will be able to navigate to all the files on your HDD.
  • You can backup your files by copying them to a flashdrive or an external hard drive.
  • Before using the internet (if you choose to use Puppy, for example) you may have to:
  • Configure/set up the internet connection
  • Download a favourite browser
    (With Ubuntu the foregoing should not be necessary.)
[/list]You may find one of the following guides useful:
Recover files from Windows XP hard disk using Puppy Linux

Recover files from Windows Vista hard disk using Puppy Linux

Recover files from Windows 7 hard disk using Puppy Linux

The easiest way to copy files/folders in Puppy is to drag-and-drop from one window to another. To do this open a window showing what you want to copy. Open another window showing the location that you wish to copy to .... and move the windows so that you can conveniently see both at the same time.

Now, simply drag the items you wish to copy from one window into the other. Simple.
AustrAlien

Posted Image

#7 dajap

dajap
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2011 - 12:23 AM

Ok, so I've backed up all the important things using puppy linux. The CPU manages to pass the short test on Seatools now. When I run the long test, it makes it to about 10% and then it gives me this message - Unfortunately, your seagate hard drive has failed an important diagnostic test, possibly caused by problem sectors which are difficult to read. ...Back up your data.... Repair was unsuccessful on the hard drive. For more info on this subject see our help topic "bad sector found". Seatools doesn't give me the chance to tell it to overwrite the bad sectors like it says it should. Also, I can't move the mouse on the screen with seatools. I'd like to scroll through the log to see if it would give me more info.

#8 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2011 - 01:09 AM

your seagate hard drive has failed an important diagnostic test, possibly caused by problem sectors which are difficult to read. ...Back up your data.... Repair was unsuccessful on the hard drive.

The SeaTools diagnostic utility is the definitive test of a Seagate hard drive: If it says the hard drive has a problem, then it is time to get a new hard drive to replace the failed one and move forward. You will not always be offered the option to repair the hard drive. I am guessing from what you wrote in your first post about not having installation disks for the system, that you would probably like to consider the possibility of cloning the existing Windows system on the failing hard drive to a new good hard drive. With that in mind, I will post the following information for you to consider ....

The first thing you should do is to clone the hard drive to another known good hard drive. You should not attempt to use the failing hard drive at all, and certainly not attempt to start the Windows system, nor to run chkdsk of any description.

Your current hard drive is 200GB (Seagate ST3200822AS) so you will need an equivalent or preferably larger new hard drive: I suggest a Seagate 320 or 500GB. Prices are very reasonable these days so that should not be a concern.

See the following guide for further information and cautions to observe:
DjLizard's data recovery guide

Please have a look through the very recent thread at the following link to see a successful result of cloning a failing hard drive (Windows XP system drive) using the recommended method:
Replacing hard drive

Let me know if you would like further assistance.

Good to see that you were able to backup your important files successfully, as a first step.

Note: Occasionally there are problems such as you are experiencing with not being able to use the mouse in SeaTools. There is little point in being able to read the log, and you should move directly to cloning the failing hard drive, if that is your intended path.

Edited by AustrAlien, 15 September 2011 - 01:10 AM.

AustrAlien

Posted Image

#9 dajap

dajap
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2011 - 04:32 PM

AustrAlien - I've read through both of the links you've provided but it's still a little over my head with the computer lingo. If I successfully clone this bad hard drive to a new hard drive, will it be like nothing happened minus certain things might not be there or work? Basically, I'm asking will this computer be functional again without having to do much more to it and will I have to install all new programs including the OS?

If I decide to do the clone, would this be an appropriate hard drive?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148767

This is all new to me and I really appreciate your time and help!

#10 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2011 - 05:16 PM

If I decide to do the clone, would this be an appropriate hard drive?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148767

Yes, that would be a fine choice.

You asked: "If I successfully clone this bad hard drive to a new hard drive, will it be like nothing happened ... ?"
Yes, that would be the aim of the exercise. However, the result will depend very much on the extent of damage to the hard drive, and whether it affected your Windows system files or personal files. With just a little luck, there is a good chance that everything will be there and working just as it was before the hard drive problem surfaced, and you will not have to re-install the OS or any programs. There is no guarantee, and of course there is always the chance that "certain things might not be there or work". We would get a good idea of the extent of the hard drive problem during the cloning process, and of the extent of damage to any files during a subsequent chkdsk (Check Disk) scan of the drive.

Edit: You may need to get another SATA data cable so that you can connect two hard drives at the same time.
OR ... check your power supply connections: It may be that you need something like this instead ...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812189193
Ensure that any cables you buy are long enough to suit your requirements.

Edited by AustrAlien, 15 September 2011 - 06:16 PM.

AustrAlien

Posted Image

#11 dajap

dajap
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2011 - 07:16 PM

Ordered the Hard Drive today through Newegg and I should have it in a day or so. Playing the waiting game.

Edit: Went back and ordered the cable also.

Edited by dajap, 15 September 2011 - 07:42 PM.

#12 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2011 - 10:08 PM

:thumbup2: You may wish to download RIPLinux and create a bootable CD or flashdrive using your working computer, while you are waiting.

:step1: Create a bootable RIPLinux CD or flashdrive:
  • Download Bootable ISO (RIPLinuX-13.5.iso) from the home page: RIP Linux home site!
  • If you wish to use a LIVE CD ...
    • Burn the .ISO image to CD: If you do not already have a suitable burning program for writing .ISO images to disc ...
      • Ensure that you UN-check the box agreeing to install the Ask toolbar during the installation.
        [list]
    • Click Posted Image
    • When the CD has been burned and verified as successful, it will be bootable.
  • OR ... if you wish to use a flashdrive ...

Note1: If you intend to use a flashdrive ...
  • You will need a flashdrive of 256 MB capacity or greater for the bootable Linux operating system.
  • Your computer BIOS must be capable of booting from a flashdrive, which will be referred to in the BIOS Setup Menu or Boot Menu, as one of the following:
  • USB KEY
  • USB HDD
    or perhaps some other similar term.

Note2: Do you have a USB flashdrive on which to save the ddrescue log while cloning?
  • (It can't be saved to the same flashdrive as the one used for the Linux operating system.)
  • If you save the log file to a flashdrive, you are then able to stop and start the cloning process at any time, and continue the process from where you last left off. This can be very handy sometimes.
  • The log file is very small, so it won't take much space. It doesn't matter if there are other files saved on the flashdrive.

AustrAlien

Posted Image

#13 dajap

dajap
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2011 - 05:24 PM

Finally got everything. I'm gonna burn the disk later tonight and then I'll be ready. I also do have a USB Flash drive for the ddrescue log. I gotta go get an alignment on the car!

#14 dajap

dajap
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2011 - 09:23 PM

AustrAlien - Thanks for being patient! I'm finally ready to move on to the next step.

#15 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2011 - 02:22 AM

Good! Let's do it then.

:step2: Setup your hardware for cloning.

Warning: Ensure that all power is switched OFF, and that you ground yourself to the metal box before touching components.

• Disconnect all HDDs attached to your computer motherboard, and disconnect any other unnecessary external devices from the computer.
  • Attach the ailing HDD to SATA port 0.
  • Attach the destination HDD to SATA port 1.
  • Ensure that you have also connected power cables to both HDDs.
Note: Which ports you use doesn't matter, but I would like you to connect the ailing HDD to the lower numbered port: For example if you wished to use ports 2 & 3, then connect the ailing HDD to port 2, and the destination HDD to port 3. You will see the SATA port numbers in the motherboard near each SATA port.

If you have a USB flashdrive on which we can save the ddrescue log, then please plug it in now to the ailing computer.
(The log file is only very small, so it won't take much space. It doesn't matter if there are other files saved on the flashdrive.)

:step3: Boot to the RIPLinux CD and confirm your hard drives' designation:
  • (You may have to configure the Boot Menu or BIOS Setup Menu to boot first from the CD-ROM drive.)
  • If the system successfully boots to the RIPLinux CD, you will very quickly be presented with a blue box, listing a number of boot options:
  • Use the <down-arrow> key to highlight the 4th option down the list:
    Boot Linux system to X! (skip keyboard prompt)
    and press the <ENTER> key.
    Please be patient: The system will take a little time to load into memory.
  • At the RIPLinuX Desktop (plain blue screen), close the information window by clicking OK.
  • Right-click anywhere on the Desktop and choose XTerm.
  • At the # prompt, type fdisk -lu (that is a lower case L after the dash/minus sign, not a ONE) and press <ENTER>.
    You will see listed there, information about the hard drives connected to the system, and I expect that you will see three sections there, representing the 3 hard drives (including the flashdrive):
  • Disk /dev/sda ... the source >> the ailing hard drive (this I am guessing, based on the hardware configuration that I requested)
  • Disk /dev/sdb ... the destination >> your NEW hard drive (this I am guessing, based on the hardware configuration that I requested)
  • Disk /dev/sdc ... your flashdrive
    You may have to scroll up/down the XTerm window to see all the information displayed?

Click the mouse's right-button and left-button in the scroll-bar on the left side of the XTerm window to scroll up/down respectively, if necessary.
[*]Look at the top line of each section, which will read something like:
  • Disk /dev/sdb: <number=size of hard drive> MB, <number> bytes
[*]Please confirm that the reported size in MB corresponds to the expected capacity of each of the devices, and post the details for me to see, please
(like this Disk /dev/sdb: <number=size of hard drive> MB .... this is the <?destination> hard drive).
[/list]Close the XTerm window.

Shut down the computer if you wish.

To shut down the computer:
  • Right-click anywhere on the Desktop.
  • Logout > Halt/Poweroff system

Edited by AustrAlien, 22 September 2011 - 02:41 AM.

AustrAlien

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users