Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Boot Problems With Winme

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 RTW DC2

RTW DC2

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 PM

Posted 21 January 2006 - 03:44 PM

Hello,

Having a problem booting a WinME computer. It makes it all the way to the desktop screen, but no icons load, and the desktop doesnt seem to have any functionality. Unable to right click, no task bar, no icons, just the desktop screen and cant do anything except move the mouse around. When doing CNTL ALT DEL it only shows Explorer running. Tried safe mode, tried step-by-step confirmation, and it just does the same thing. Upgrading and formatting are out of the question at this point. Would be happy with just getting into Command Prompt or Windows Explorer so I can copy data to a usb memory stick. Any help is appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 kar

kar

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 PM

Posted 21 January 2006 - 04:09 PM

need boot disc for windows me

#3 RTW DC2

RTW DC2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2006 - 05:13 PM

is there any other option? I was able to get into command prompt by using a Win95 startup disk but not sure if that will help or not. Can I edit any files like config.sys or autoexec.bat that might let me in?

#4 Super Corsair

Super Corsair

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2006 - 06:18 PM

is there any other option? I was able to get into command prompt by using a Win95 startup disk but not sure if that will help or not. Can I edit any files like config.sys or autoexec.bat that might let me in?

Wait! Give the guys here some time to help you.

#5 RTW DC2

RTW DC2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2006 - 04:42 PM

I havent made any changes yet, just making it known I can get into Dos with a Win95 boot disk, but thats the only way I have been able to even see the files/directories on the computer. I can copy data to floppy but Ill be there all day trying to transfer it to another machine.

#6 RTW DC2

RTW DC2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2006 - 02:39 PM

any other ideas?

#7 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 PM

Posted 24 January 2006 - 04:00 PM

This may help. From the command prompt C:\ type in chkdsk C: /f

Edited by acklan, 24 January 2006 - 04:00 PM.

"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#8 RTW DC2

RTW DC2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2006 - 10:42 AM

thanks for the reply. that actually brings up another point. as I stated before, I can control alt delete to shut the machine down normally. however, if I just turn the machine off, next time I try to start it, it tries to run the Scandisk utility when reaching the desktop screen. the GUI comes up, but nothing happens, it just stops and doesnt scan. the mouse does not freeze, and I can end task the program.

I tried to use the command you suggested, and it just says I must use Scandisk to check the volume.

#9 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2006 - 11:07 AM

Go to Start>Run>Command>Scandisk. Press Ok to start scan.

#10 RTW DC2

RTW DC2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2006 - 11:59 AM

?

as stated in the original post, I CANNOT GET INTO WINDOWS. it only loads to the desktop screen, there is no icons, no task bar, nothing, just the wallpaper and the mouse.

#11 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2006 - 12:46 PM

When you get it to boot as far as it will go press the Windows key + R to bring up the Run box and type in scandisk.

Have you added or removed any software or hardware just prior to this problem starting?

You can also try to restore the registry from a backup. Boot to the screen where you pick Safe Mode (How to start Windows in Safe Mode) but instead pick Command Prompt Only. At the C:\> type in the following exactly as shown:

scanreg /restore

Pick the most recent backup that says Started.

You can also use the Run box to type in msconfig. Look under the Startup tab and disable everything that is absolutely not neccessary and reboot.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#12 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2006 - 12:47 PM

thanks for the reply. that actually brings up another point. as I stated before, I can control alt delete to shut the machine down normally. however, if I just turn the machine off, next time I try to start it, it tries to run the Scandisk utility when reaching the desktop screen. the GUI comes up, but nothing happens, it just stops and doesnt scan. the mouse does not freeze, and I can end task the program.

I tried to use the command you suggested, and it just says I must use Scandisk to check the volume.

I can assume from this reply you can acess the command prompt? If so try C:\scandisk
Sorry for the previous advice. I should have recommended the prompt instead of Run.

#13 RTW DC2

RTW DC2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2006 - 03:39 PM

When you get it to boot as far as it will go press the Windows key + R to bring up the Run box and type in scandisk.

This is along the lines of what I was looking for!! that could have saved the day...a shortcut to get into programs since there were no icons or functionality from the blank desktop screen. oh well.

Have you added or removed any software or hardware just prior to this problem starting?

You can also try to restore the registry from a backup. Boot to the screen where you pick Safe Mode (How to start Windows in Safe Mode) but instead pick Command Prompt Only. At the C:\> type in the following exactly as shown:

scanreg /restore

Pick the most recent backup that says Started.

yeah I keep reading this option but for some reason I do not get a "command prompt" only option from the boot screen. so the only way I could get to a command prompt was with the Win95 boot disk, and that only puts you into DOS so you have no functionality of the restore or backup programs.

You can also use the Run box to type in msconfig. Look under the Startup tab and disable everything that is absolutely not neccessary and reboot.

Yes I would have went this route as well but I couldnt figure out how to get to a Run box or any way to run MSCONFIG.

Long story short, I found an old PowerQuest Drive Image diskette that I was able to use to restore the system back to factory settings. One thing I did notice was that when I tried to update IE to IE6, the same problem occured. I was able to run other updates with no problem, only occurs with IE6 upgrade.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users