Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Built-in speakers don't mute when headphones plugged in

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 akrizel

akrizel

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 PM

Posted 13 September 2011 - 11:25 PM

When I plug my headphones (or external speakers, for that matter) into the headphone jack of my new Toshiba Satellite A665, I hear music from the headphones, but it also continues from the original, built-in laptop speakers. How do I get it to be like every other computer I've ever used and use whatever device is plugged into the headphone jack?And when something's not in the jack, it should just use the built-in speakers, obviously.

I've never had anything like this problem on any other computer. I go into my Sound options in the Control Panel and it just lists "Speakers Realtek High Def Audio - Default Device." So frustrating! This should be simple! Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 PM

Posted 14 September 2011 - 12:11 AM

Hello and welcome to Bleeping Computer.

Most jacks for external devices have a little switch inside so-to-speak that when the plug is pushed in, two contacts separate and break the connection to the internal source, then the sound flows through the jack instead and into the external source.

Perhaps the jack in your laptop does not have this type of jack.

I can only think that if it is intended to disconnect the internal speakers, your plug may not be separating those contacts.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 lti

lti

• Members
  • 595 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 PM

Posted 15 September 2011 - 06:56 PM

Newer computers rely on the audio driver to switch between the speakers and headphones. There is still a switch in the headphone jack, but it doesn't reroute the audio signal anymore. This allows certain programs to use only the speakers or only the headphone output. I don't see any practical use for this "feature."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users