Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DVD/CD malfuntion

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 spalladino25

spalladino25

• Members
  • 266 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 PM

Posted 13 September 2011 - 09:20 PM

Hello I have an inspiron 1525 that runs on Windows Vista. The DVD drive does not work it is a GSA-T2IN. I thought is was a hardware issue so I bought a replacement DVD drive a DVD+-RW AD-5560A ATA Device. When I put the new one in it also didn't work. Shortly after, my hard drive started to fail which I noticed after doing routine checks so I had it replaced. When I took it to a shop to have it repaired they fixed everything did diagnostic checks and told me everything was ok and the DVD drive should work. They put the new DVD drive in, the DVD+-RW AD-5560A ATA Device and showed me it was running. Shortly after I took it home put a DVD in and it started to run but malfunctioned while reading the DVD and seemed like it got stuck or couldn't complete whatever it was doing. Then my computer started to freeze up and crash. I had to do a CTR+ALT+DEL to force it took quit and then my computer unfroze. I really need some help with this. I just paid 200 bucks to fix everything and I don't have the money to take it back in to have it looked at. Thank you for any help you can provide.

Edited by spalladino25, 13 September 2011 - 09:28 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2011 - 10:27 PM

You've got to be kidding me! :blink:

Sorry, welcome to Bleeping Computer!

Now back to what I stated earlier:

You've got to be kidding me! :angry: :blink:

They sapped you for a repair and you get home and it's not working and crashing???

I would be on the phone ASAP and complain to them that it does not work.

I do want to ask one question though, just for curiosities sake, what type of disk are you attempting to load in the DVD drive?

Does it do this with a music CD?

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 spalladino25

spalladino25
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 266 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2011 - 10:39 PM

Yeah I know. It's pretty wack. I'm gonna call them tomorrow and get everything sorted out. I was attempting to load a DVD but it doesn't work for CD's either. When I did a diagnostic check with the Dell support center pc check it's coming up DRAM test failed. Any ideas?

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2011 - 11:10 PM

It's sounding to me like a possible error with your RAM or an improper setting in your systems BIOS.

DRAM= http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_random-access_memory

Suggestion, re-seat the memory modules.

Boot computer.

Go into BIOS setup utility.

Look for system defaults, usually F9, choose that option, hit F10 Save to CMOS, choose YES, reboot and try the system again.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 13 September 2011 - 11:12 PM.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 spalladino25

spalladino25
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 266 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2011 - 11:30 PM

Ok so I did what you said. I hit F9 of reboot. Then hit F10 but didn't see any option for what you were talking about. I didn't see Save to CMOS. No should I type that in because what I got was some kind of command line then I didn't know what to do from there. Sorry you'll have to forgive me I lack experience in this area.

#6 spalladino25

spalladino25
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 266 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2011 - 11:42 PM

this is what I got when I rebooted and hit F10

edit windows boot options for: windows vista

path:\windows\system32\winload.exe

Partion:3
Hard disk: 2bd2c32a

Then some command prompt. I didn't see anything you described. Not sure what to do now.

#7 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2011 - 11:55 PM

Hello, it's okay, I am patient and love teaching people what I know, because sharing is one of my purposes of being here.

I changed my signature, to the notice you see below my posts, for a reason, but it usually states that I have 38 Years professional electronics experience, so you are in good hands, because I am a licensed repair tech. :thumbup2:

You have a DELL computer, to enter your BIOS you will have to hit the F2 key when your system is just booting up, this will bring you into a screen that will probably say AWARD or PHEONIX BIOS.

There is most likely a mention in those menus of loading system defaults, let me know if you see it, it will be mentioned in the main area of the BIOS menus and will sometimes be where the navigation keys are listed, in other words, in the area where it tells you which arrow keys do what to navigate the sub-menus.

Let me know what you see here, if you are really lost, I will download a copy of your computers owners manual to view your menu options.

Bruce.

#8 spalladino25

spalladino25
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 266 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2011 - 12:07 AM

ok so I hit F2 and what came up was a list of options on the left side of my screen they were

System
Onboard services
video
security
performance
power management
maintenance
post behavior
wireless

Each category broke down into other sub sections. Not sure where to go from there.

#9 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2011 - 12:18 AM

hang in there let me reboot my Dell XPS400 and go in my menus there to see how it's setup, no worries I am on another computer, I am one of those knuckle heads who sits here with 5 computers up and running and all on-line at the same time. :o

Bruce.

#10 spalladino25

spalladino25
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 266 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2011 - 12:21 AM

Ok sounds good

#11 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2011 - 12:27 AM

Got it, in your BIOS screen, use the down arrow key, it will selected each main option down the line until you reach MAINTENANCE, once you have that word high-lighted, hit enter, it will expand MAINTENANCE and you'll see LOAD DEFAULTS. select that and to your right will be two options CANCEL and CONTINUE, choose CONTINUE and press ENTER.

Now hit ESC.

If any mention is made to SAVE before exiting is mentioned select that option, yes you want to exit setup but you also want to save the changes.

Your computer should reboot and hopefully everything works.

Please let me know the out come.

Bruce.

#12 spalladino25

spalladino25
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 266 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2011 - 12:40 AM

I did what you said and the DVD drive is still not working :(

#13 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2011 - 12:51 AM

Okay back in windows, go to My Computer (XP) or Computer (vista-Win 7) tell me if you see that DVD listed there.

Bruce.

#14 spalladino25

spalladino25
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 266 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2011 - 12:52 AM

I do see it. It's there.

#15 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2011 - 01:00 AM

Okay you are using Windows Vista correct?

Bruce.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users