Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't find drivers, please help.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Eraser23

Eraser23

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 PM

Posted 13 September 2011 - 07:24 PM

Hi there, I sincerely hope you can help.

I have an old Sony Vaio PCG-K215M, the specifications can be found HERE if you scroll down.

Today I installed Windows 2000, because I wanted to go all retro and try out an older version of Windows again. Plus, as the laptop is very old now, I thought it would give it a new lease of life. I have the Sony Vaio recovery CD which came with my purchase, some 5-6 years ago...but I believe this installs Windows XP Home onto the laptop, with all the XP drivers.

So where am I?

1) I've installed Windows 2000 onto my laptop and I have Belkin wireless working.

2) I have checked device manager and it shows these are 'yellow question marks'
-Mass Storage Controller
-PCI Device
-Unknown device
-Video Controller (VGA Compatible)

It did show that my audio device was missing too, but I managed to install Realtek drivers from the link I'll show you below.

3) Having dome some major research into the laptop online for the past 4 hours...whilst trying to get things working, I stumbled across this list of drivers on the Sony Vaio website. HERE!

As you can see, my eyes lit up when I went to the site because it seems to have all the drivers I need. I even installed the audio drivers for my laptop from that website.

MY PROBLEM NOW

The Vaio PCG-K215M runs the ATI Radeon IGP 345M card (taken from computer specifications link above), but I'm currently stuck with 640x460 16 bit colors - ummm, not ideal.

I clicked the 'originally installed' tab on the Sony Vaio website linked above, and downloaded the 'original drivers package.' I tried to install the ATI display drivers from the unpacked zip file, but no luck. An error message appears, telling me "setup was unable to complete the installation. try to setup your display adapter with a standard vga driver before running setup."

I've tried booting in safe mode to try and install the ATI drivers, but alas no luck. Can anyone help? Also, what about the other things in device manager that need drivers for?

I know the Sony Vaio website I linked above is for Windows XP drivers...but I tried my luck with them just in case.

If someone can help me find the correct drivers for the Sony Vaio PCG-K215M, running Windows 2000, I'll be extremely greatful. I've tried everything. Thanks in advance and I hope to hear from you soon.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 AM

Posted 14 September 2011 - 12:34 PM

I have checked device manager and it shows these are 'yellow question marks'
-Mass Storage Controller
-PCI Device
-Unknown device
-Video Controller (VGA Compatible)

Not sure if this also works for Windows 2000, but worth a shot. Open the device manager and rightclick on the device, open the propperties. Check if there is a "details" tab and if so, see if you can find a Hardware ID or Device Instance ID.

If you could find that Device Instance Id please paste it on your next post.

:guitar: Take me to a place where time is frozen
You don't have to close your eyes to dream :busy:
You can find escape inside this moment :smash:
And I will follow  :whistle:

#3 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• BC Advisor
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 PM

Posted 24 September 2011 - 10:02 PM

when I went to that drivers page they are drivers for Windows XP not for Windows 2000. While some of them may work on Win2k it is only by luck. Win2k addresses some hardware, like graphics, differently from WinXP so usually the drivers are incompatable. Since Microsoft has discontinued support for Win2k finding driver support can be near impossible especially for hardware that didn't support Win2k from the box.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users