Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

power source adjustment

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 joeyfrmptown

joeyfrmptown

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 AM

Posted 13 September 2011 - 03:02 PM

Hey everyone I have a new question that i have no clue the answer to, my power supply says that it can put out a maximum of 305W, is this something that I can manually control (set the wattage output? Or does it adjust to the appropriate wattage depending on the current computers task? Thank you for your help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 AM

Posted 13 September 2011 - 07:33 PM

Hello Joey and to answer your question the value of 305 Watts is the maximum continuous peak output your power supply can offer when it is put under load.

The only way you can change this value is to replace the diodes, triacs, MOSFETS and TRANSISTERS that are part of the voltage regulator and the various circuits that transforms 115 Volts 60 Hz USA and 230 Volts 50 Hz in other countries, to 3.3 Volts, 5.0 volts and 12.5 Volts for usage for the various circuits found in the computer system.

Most power supplies can accept two inputs, 115 Volts AC or 230 Volts AC, but they both output the same current.

Watts is a working unit for electronic circuits, this wiki can explain in detail what a WATT unit is. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watt

There are various Zener Diodes on power supply main boards that may have to be changed to a higher value to survive the demand and current flow as well.

To be truthful with you, it could cost you more in parts to upgrade a PSU then it is to buy one already assembled.

By the way, I have been a licensed, certified electronics repair tech for 38 and a half years now, so believe me when I say it's cheaper to buy a new one, unless you build it as a project and know what you are doing, it's not worth trying it.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users