Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cmos Checksum Error - New Motherboard

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jagdog

jagdog

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 PM

Posted 21 January 2006 - 02:42 PM

I purchased this motherboard to build a new machine. From the first time I tried to boot the machine I get a CMOS checksum error - Defaults loaded error on the first screen after the drives check in. If I make any changes in the SETUP my video goes away. The only way I can get the video back is to reset CMOS with the jumper. I was able to load Windows through many CMOS resets, but if I shut the machine down from Windows or try to reboot from Windows my video won't come back unless I reset CMOS. Even if I remove everything but the processor and one DIMM of RAM it still fails. The jumpers are in the correct place. Please help - this motherboard was purchased over 30 days ago so I cannot return it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 VB4

VB4

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 PM

Posted 21 January 2006 - 03:29 PM

The battery on the Motherboard may be dead?

For fast computer answers, visit SparkCore. A brand new computer forum with dedicated members, who will get you the answers you need to solve all your computer problems.

#3 Salo

Salo

• Banned
  • 108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 PM

Posted 22 January 2006 - 12:15 AM

Switch out the cmos battery, Do you have an agp card installed? Are you onboard everything? How much ram?

It looks like a bad motherboard if you cant do anything to it, Id try it another computer if you can to see if its your peripherals or the motherboard itself.

Edited by Salo, 22 January 2006 - 12:16 AM.

#4 jagdog

jagdog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 PM

Posted 22 January 2006 - 10:15 PM

Yeah, I tried the battery from another motherboard and same problem. I even started playing with all the jumpers since the Biostar book has no info in it worth mentioning. The only things that can be left are the power supply not giving the right voltage on a plane or the motherboard itself. I just hate having purchased this thing over 30 days ago, what can you do to with a motherboard that has a CMOS problem?

As for the rest of the config the video is a PCI-E x 16, I have 2x512 PC3200 RAM, AMD 3700+ Dual Core, onboard LAN which I decided to use a USB wireless adapter, and onboard sound. This was supposed to be that non-gaming system to knock my socks off, but with a busted motherboard I am ready to throw it out a window.

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 PM

Posted 23 January 2006 - 03:52 PM

How do the capacitor's on the motherboard look? They're the little round things that look like itty-bitty beer cans. Are any of them buldged? Do any have brownish crud on the top?

Here's a link about bad cap's: http://badcaps.com/ident/
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users