Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Someone keeps hijacking our network

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Doomsis

Doomsis

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 AM

Posted 13 September 2011 - 01:22 PM

We all get connected and no matter how many times I put more security something kicks everyone off so they can use our internet. No matter how many passwords something (if its someone or just something) it disconnects as if i have no security. We connect and this problem boots everyone in my house. I change the device name and we get it back but then they steal it back.

Here's same person has my problem same router. Dir655 I even change the router address. I change the password. and you say when people d/c and take another slot in router. Mine has up 99 range slots. every security I make it doesn't help. I need someone that knows how to work this router right and keep others out. Right now i have mac address setup. I regenerate a new pin and still I have to see tonight whatever it is its making me go bananas. Family keeps saying it turned off. I get it back since I have access to router options through a password. Family keeps complaining everyone gets disconnected then i change device name and we get it back then then we lose our connection. I reset router and quickly put my security up and even repower the cable box. I disable the guest zone, i lock the wireless settings, i put mac address filtering. I don't know what else to do =(. I watch my cable modem and its been on the whole time!

Could it possibly our routers are conflicting with each other? I don't know if that's possible! If by chance another neigbor has a dlink as well and using default ip address- could possible conflict between our routers? I notice when i try to get to a page all the graphics disappear from the page. I re download adobe flash player and firefox and still having same problems (already installed adobe plugins). I think i freaking paranoid now- I keep changing my passwords. Someone tell whats wrong with my router- I can't stand it anymore! I change our network name with a more insulting name because whatever it is i want it to die!

I cannot hide my ssid because i have a computer strictly wireless because the ethernet internet port broke from a storm and owner won't replace so I have one computer only uses wireless.

I'm starting to get creeped out because i play an application and it stops running and says running on another computer. I get mad and turn internet on and off. Then I go on my facebook application and it repeats what i did earlier. on and off on and off. I reload application on facebook. same patern i did earlier. I press reload. Same page opens 'oops reload'. I press reload it reloads page shows 'oops reload'. Whoever it is needs to stop playing. Wasting my stupid money playing on and off games. Every stupid day same thing. Not even worth paying 137 dollars a month playing games on off on off on off. 137 down the drain.

Edited by Doomsis, 13 September 2011 - 01:30 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 PM

Posted 13 September 2011 - 02:04 PM

What wireless encryption do you configure? WEP or WPA?
WEP is easy to crack, don't use it.
WPA is stronger, but yo need to use a strong password.

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Senior Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2019
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#3 Doomsis

Doomsis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2011 - 08:03 PM

my older bro said not to use wpa because depends on compatibility issue of different computers. When I use wpa it has internet but none of the pages will load. He say people have problem with connecting with wpa. My password is random so i dunno how someone would figure it out. I had original had wpa personal but its won't even let me use the browser freely. Its connected and shows its connected when i login the router options. Now its working with WEP. How do I make my computer connect to wpa personal again. I used to connect with no problems but now its having issues. The password i used was ' i see dead people ' its changed now. is that too weak? what happens if its a random letter and number would be better? Its just the person that is using wireless is having a fit me making hard passwords so i make them simple. My connection was wpa 2 and it was working for awhile then it stopped working and we having problems. It looks like my computer sometimes connects then now its having issues with wpa2. We turned into wpa 2 ever since we saw 2 PCs which one was my moms and the other had a different mac address so i thought it was another person pretending to be here to connect to our internet connection. I know this a dumb question but - mom has a wireless and is it possible since she wireless, two different mac addresses could be hers? So i thought is i put wpa2 will put more security. Ever since that i never saw that other mac address i didn't recognize. Then months later we started having issues with wpa2. I thought it didn't matter if i set wpa or wpa2 and just puts more security. I constantly kept experiencing internet going off so i turn off router power for a few secs. Then we get it back. Then it completely turned off. I pretty much know everyones mac address that are connected to my router. We believed to think that was a intruder. My neighbor gave me a sour face so i knew that was probably him. Then my silly friend trying to convince me that someone is hacking us. We are pretty much friends with neighbors so i don't think that's it. So pretty much i have no one else that knows anything about computers and everyone looks at me thinking i fix it. I don't know crap. So I hope wpa is going to work without any d/c =D.

I notice on wpa2, I'm constantly getting booted from my router options back to login screen. It seems my computer isn't compatible with wpa2. It driving me bananas figuring what is wrong with my computer and understanding everything.

Edited by Doomsis, 13 September 2011 - 08:23 PM.

#4 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 PM

Posted 14 September 2011 - 03:19 AM

The effort to crack a WEP password is unrelated to the strength of your password. The techniques used to recover a WEP password rely on implementation flaws in the WEP protocol, not on the weakness of your password.

The effort to crack a WPA(2) password is related to the strength of your password. I suggest you switch to WPA2 (or WPA if your machines have no support for WPA2) and use a strong, random password.

If you have issues configuring your access points and machines for WPA, I suggest you open a thread in the Networking forum to get help.

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Senior Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2019
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#5 Doomsis

Doomsis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2011 - 03:50 AM

Looks like me lost my connection again. i am using wpa. wpa works but for some reason wpa2 has problems. Everyone is like asleep so i'm concerned how i lost my connection. It refused to connect even waiting awhile.. I had to reset my router and it came back and then secured with password. I confused what to do next. Its like when it happens, everyone connected cannot access the internet, but the router is on and so is the cable. It like someone else is hosting everything.

Edited by Doomsis, 21 September 2011 - 05:53 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users