Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Buy new or use free versions of malware protection?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Tony Girgenti

Tony Girgenti

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 PM

Posted 13 September 2011 - 10:16 AM

Hello,

I have a Dell Dimension 9150, 160GB WD1600JS-75NCB1 Caviar, 3gb RAM and XP Pro, SP3 logged into a Microsoft SBS2003 server domain as Administrator.

Somehow I acquired malware called DoomJuice and from what was suggested by repliers to posts made here and on MSDN, I should wipe out my hard drive and reinstall my operating system.

Others have suggested that, at the very least, I should get another hard drive, install the operating system on it and carefuly move the needed files from the old infected hard drive to the new hard drive and that is the route that I chose to take.

I disconnected my old infected hard drive and installed a one 1TB, WD10EARS hard drive and installed Windows 7 Ultimate on it. I also plan to freshly install all of the other software that I need to do my work.

I sometimes disconnect my new hard drive and connect to my old infected drive and bootup so that i can do some of the things that are not ready in the new Windows 7 drive. I never have both drives connected at the same time.

What I would like to do is copy the needed files from the old infected hard drive to a Sony CD/DVD rewritable disc and reboot to the new Windows 7 system then copy them in, unless somebody has another suggestion about doing that.

When I do that, I want to scan the files being copied so that I am sure I am not putting infected files on the new Windows 7 hard drive.

Should I buy a good virus/malware scanner to do that or can I stay with the free versions, MS Security Essentials, SuperAntiSpyware, Malwarebytes etc., and get the protection I need to safely move the files over?

I had all of those things running when I caught this malware, which is a puzzle in itself.

Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks,
Tony

Edited by Tony Girgenti, 13 September 2011 - 11:45 AM.

Stop The World, I want To Get Off!

Life Isn't About Waiting For The Storm To Pass ... It's About Learning To Dance In The Rain.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Required Field

Required Field

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 PM

Posted 15 September 2011 - 02:08 PM

Lots of people wonder how they get spyware when they have a product in place to protect them...Just my opinion, but I believe you would have gotten infected whether you were using AVG free or a $40 Norton product. It could have been caused by an ad banner you clicked on, there's no telling how you got infected....You may as well stick with MSSE, that's one that I like. It's kind of a personal preference thing. This might be a good read for you http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic407147.html
I would make sure your AV is installed first, so you can scan the storage media with your old files before copying. Any media will do, a DVD or CD is no safer than a flash drive or external...all are valid attack vectors.
"Most quotes attributed to famous people on the internet are fake." -Abraham Lincoln

#3 Tony Girgenti

Tony Girgenti
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 PM

Posted 16 September 2011 - 02:34 PM

Thanks Required.

Sounds like good advice.

I plan to copy the files, groups at a time, from my old infected system to a USB stick, scan the stick with three malware scanners, shut down the old infected system, start up the new system, scan the USB stick with three malware scanners and copy the USB stick files to my new Windows drive.

The old infected XP system and the new Windows 7 system are in the same computer.

Thanks again for your advice.

Tony

Stop The World, I want To Get Off!

Life Isn't About Waiting For The Storm To Pass ... It's About Learning To Dance In The Rain.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users