Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PSU overheated, PC dead.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 HavokTheorem

HavokTheorem

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 AM

Posted 13 September 2011 - 05:30 AM

Hi all,
Yesterday I was using my computer, playing Crysis 2, when i took a break. When I looked back the pc was off. All the pilot lights were off and i couldn't turn it on even after switching it off and on. I felt the top of the PC, and the PSU was very hot.
The outer fan on that PSU has been playing up and jamming in the past.
Do you think its the power supply that is broken? I'm using a PC with an amd athlon dual core, a gigabyte gts 450 and 2gb DDR2 ram. The PSU is 400w, i think it is x-power.
Please tell me what you think.

Edited by hamluis, 13 September 2011 - 06:20 AM.
Moved from XP to Internal Hardware.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 AM

Posted 13 September 2011 - 06:55 AM

What is the model of the power supply? The other components could of also overheated.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#3 HavokTheorem

HavokTheorem
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2011 - 03:01 PM

X-power ATX-400B.
The air inside the case was comparitively cool, so i don't think it was an overheated mobo or such.

#4 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2011 - 05:09 PM

Your power supply has only 18 amps and it just meets the 400W power requirement. The power supply was really loaded when you were playing Crysis 2 which made it really hot and turn itself off. You should get this power supply as the a replacement.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#5 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 PM

Posted 13 September 2011 - 06:20 PM

Hello HavokTheorem and welcome to Bleeping Computer.

If your power supply is completely dead and it does not reset by unplugging it from the AC outlet and re-plugging it in again, there is a very good chance you blew the PSU's fuse.

There is a risk involved with replacing this fuse, because power supplies have large electrolytic capacitors that can store lethal amounts of electricity.

The fuse in most power supplies is unfortunately located inside and soldered to the main PSU circuit board.

You may be lucky and have one which can be accessed from the outside, but that is very rare.

If you or someone you know, really knows and understands what to do and understands the precautions that have to be taken with the internal parts of a computer power supply, try replacing the fuse.

It may be one that is hidden inside a piece of heat shrink tubing, I have seen a few fuses installed that way, but checking that fuse may reveal that it has been blown open and needs to be replaced.

If replacement of the fuse, or the fuse is still good and the PSU does not power up, it means you have blown the bridge rectifier.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#6 HavokTheorem

HavokTheorem
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2011 - 03:03 AM

I'm not sure what a bridge rectifier is. I plan to replace the PSU, so I'm mainly just concerned that my mobo and gpu are all right.

#7 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2011 - 06:02 AM

They should be fine, you can test them by using a spare power supply to test.

>Michael 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users