Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Getting blue screen Stop error during XP install

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Meat Popsicle

Meat Popsicle

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 PM

Posted 13 September 2011 - 12:43 AM

Hello,

The background: I am trying to install Windows XP Home onto a semi-new (custom built) machine. I am using a Gigabyte GA-G41MT-USB3 motherboard, a 500gb SATA hard drive (brand new), and 4gb DDR3 ram (2x2gb cards). It is an old copy of Windows XP - it may have SP1 included but I'm not sure.

The problem: Computer POSTs fine, detects HDD fine (according to BIOS), RAM tests fine, enters BIOS setup fine, starts Windows setup fine. But... During setup, after Windows loads files, drivers, etc., and just after the point where it says "Setup is starting Windows", it goes to a blue screen with the following error message, every time:

"A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.
If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:
Check for viruses on your computer. Remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers. Check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated. Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer.

Technical information:
***STOP: 0x0000007B (0xF78D2524, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)"

Steps I took: After reading about other people having similar problems, I assumed that it was because I was trying to install an old copy of XP onto a SATA drive. My machine doesn't have an A:/ drive, so I downloaded nLite and integrated the drivers from the motherboard disc, and installed from that. No change - still got the blue screen.

So I tried nLite again, integrating SATA drivers downloaded from the manufacturer's website. No change. So I tried again using a generic SATA driver, AND integrating Service Pack 2 for good measure. No change - still blue screen at the same point during installation.

So I checked every BIOS setting there was. There seems to be no setting relating to SATA at all on this board, and any that I wasn't sure about I looked up and/or changed to test them. Nothing.

So I double checked the hardware - I tested the RAM in a different machine and it was OK. I changed the SATA cable, tried it in a different SATA slot on the board, double checked all the connectors from the case to the board, removed unnecessary hardware, etc. No change.

Where I'm at now: I have no idea. I can't think of what else to try, which is why I came here to ask for help. I'm almost to the point of giving up and buying Windows 7, but I don't even know if that would fix it, since I don't know what's wrong in the first place. I've built plenty of machines before, and never run into anything like this.

Other info that shouldn't make a difference but I'll mention it anyway just in case: The board doesn't have an IDE slot - SATA only (didn't know that when I bought it), so I don't have a CD-rom drive installed (all mine are IDE). Instead, I'm using an external CD drive to install Windows, connected via USB. The system seems to detect/use it just fine, since selecting "Boot from CD/DVD" does boot from it and starts the setup. It just seems that when Windows setup tries to access the hard drive, I get the error.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 .X.

.X.

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 PM

Posted 13 September 2011 - 02:43 AM

Please post your last session.ini

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 PM

Posted 13 September 2011 - 06:17 AM

FWIW: A motherboard that provides SATA support...will probably provide "IDE emulation" as a BIOS setting/option...thus there is no need at all to load SATA drivers during the XP install process.

If you want to read more about such, use Google and the string "IDE emulation".

Motherboard manufacturer and model?

Louis

#4 Meat Popsicle

Meat Popsicle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2011 - 10:37 AM

Please post your last session.ini

Last session.ini:

[Main]
Env = 1.4.9.1 - 2.0.50727.3623.Microsoft Windows NT 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3
Target = Windows XP Home Edition SP2 - 5.1.2600.2180 - English (United States)

[Tasks]
Service Pack Integration
Integrate Drivers
Create a Bootable ISO

[Components]
;# Compatibility #

[KeepFiles]
msconfig.exe

[RemoveFiles]
clock.avi
yahoo.bmp
swtchbrd.bmp

[Options]
ProfilesDir = "%SystemDrive%\Documents and Settings"
TargetPath = "WINDOWS"
temp_dir = %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Temp

[Patches]

[Services2]

[Tweaks]

[Unattended]
ComputerType = Automatic
MaximumDataStorePercentOfDisk = 12
RestorePointLife = 30
DesktopTheme = Default||
AutoUDay = 5
AutoUHour = 15
ProgFilesPath = "\Program Files"

[NetAdapter1]
connname = ""
macaddress = ""
ipaddress = "192.168.0.1"
subnetmask = "255.255.255.0"
defaultgateway = ""
dnsserver1 = ""
dnsserver2 = ""
winsserver = ""
netbiossetting = "0"
ipxnetworknumber = "00000000"
ipxnetworkframetype = "0xFF"

[NetAdapter2]
connname = ""
macaddress = ""
ipaddress = "192.168.0.2"
subnetmask = "255.255.255.0"
defaultgateway = ""
dnsserver1 = ""
dnsserver2 = ""
winsserver = ""
netbiossetting = "0"
ipxnetworknumber = "00000000"
ipxnetworkframetype = "0xFF"

[GuiRunOnce]

[Drivers]
C:\Documents and Settings\John\Desktop\drivers\Driver\iaahci.inf,iaAHCI_ESB2
C:\Documents and Settings\John\Desktop\drivers\Driver\iaahci.inf,iaStor_ESB2
C:\Documents and Settings\John\Desktop\drivers\Driver\iaahci.inf,iaAHCI_ICH6M
C:\Documents and Settings\John\Desktop\drivers\Driver\iaahci.inf,iaAHCI_ICH7M
C:\Documents and Settings\John\Desktop\drivers\Driver\iaahci.inf,iaStor_ICH7MDH
C:\Documents and Settings\John\Desktop\drivers\Driver\iaahci.inf,iaAHCI_ICH7R
C:\Documents and Settings\John\Desktop\drivers\Driver\iaahci.inf,iaStor_ICH7DH
C:\Documents and Settings\John\Desktop\drivers\Driver\iaahci.inf,iaStor_ICH8M
C:\Documents and Settings\John\Desktop\drivers\Driver\iaahci.inf,iaAHCI_ICH8M
C:\Documents and Settings\John\Desktop\drivers\Driver\iaahci.inf,iaAHCI_ICH8R
C:\Documents and Settings\John\Desktop\drivers\Driver\iaahci.inf,iaStor_ICH8R
C:\Documents and Settings\John\Desktop\drivers\Driver\iaahci.inf,iaAHCI_ICH9R
C:\Documents and Settings\John\Desktop\drivers\SATA_Intel_v7.0.0.1020\iaahci.inf,0

[Hotfixes]

FWIW: A motherboard that provides SATA support...will probably provide "IDE emulation" as a BIOS setting/option...thus there is no need at all to load SATA drivers during the XP install process.

If you want to read more about such, use Google and the string "IDE emulation".

Motherboard manufacturer and model?

Louis

I've gone through every single BIOS setting (many many times), and saw nothing relating to IDE emulation, SATA mode, or anything. The motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-G41MT-USB3, with Award Modular BIOS v6.00 for G41MT-USB3 version F1.

I Googled "IDE emulation" along with my motherboard, and found nothing specific. Several search results did mention changing certain BIOS settings, but none of those were specific to my motherboard, and when I dug through the BIOS again just now, there was nothing even similar. I even found some "hidden" options, but again, nothing relating to IDE, SATA, or such, other than (obviously) the "IDE Master/Slave Channel 0/1", where it detects the HDD, in "Standard CMOS settings" - but the only options in there are the settings for Hard Drive access mode, referring to CHS, LBA, Large, or Auto. Obviously "Large" (or Auto)is the only setting that will work with a 500gb hard drive.

Thank you both for replying! Hopefully something can help...

#5 .X.

.X.

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2011 - 12:18 PM

[Drivers]
C:\Documents and Settings\John\Desktop\drivers\SATA_Intel_v7.0.0.1020\iaahci.inf,0

It looks good except for the last line. When it ends in a number it means it went through as PNP instead of text mode. Can you provide me a link to where you downloaded the drivers?

#6 Meat Popsicle

Meat Popsicle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2011 - 12:27 PM

[Drivers]

It looks good except for the last line. When it ends in a number it means it went through as PNP instead of text mode. Can you provide me a link to where you downloaded the drivers?

Honestly I've gone through so many links and searches during the last day that I have no idea which one I got those drivers from anymore. Could having an extra (incorrect) driver in PnP mode prevent the rest from working properly? If so, I can try it again, but making sure to remove that one (or at least make sure it's in text mode).

#7 .X.

.X.

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2011 - 12:34 PM

I'm not sure, It's just something that caught my eye.

What country did you purchase the mobo at. I want to look at the Gigabyte website and look for your drivers.

#8 Meat Popsicle

Meat Popsicle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2011 - 12:42 PM

I'm not sure, It's just something that caught my eye.

What country did you purchase the mobo at. I want to look at the Gigabyte website and look for your drivers.

I purchased it in/from USA. I actually have the manufacturer's disc that came with the board, and I tried using the drivers from that disc first (I did make sure to only use the 32-bit drivers that were included). I tried using those drivers first, and when it didn't work I tried the downloaded ones. I also thought that integrating SP2 was supposed to take care of the driver problem on its own, but it didn't seem to.

The weird thing is that I just recently built a different computer, also using a SATA mobo/HDD, and a slightly newer copy of Windows XP Home, and it worked fine (I'm using it right now, actually). Not sure why this other copy of XP is giving me such a hard time.

#9 .X.

.X.

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2011 - 12:54 PM

SP2? Why? You should slipstream SP3! You should also integrate all post SP3 updates. They are available at my website http://xdot.tk/updates.html by running the UDC script. Just download them and add them to the Hotfix, Add-ons and Update Packs section of nLite. If you want to slipstream IE8 just follow the instructions under Internet Explorer 8.

This way your XP is secure out of the box and you don't have to spend hours and Windows Update.

When we figure out the drivers, please start with a fresh copy of your XP source and do it all in one go. You can get quirks if you run nLite more than once against the same source.

I'll go hunt for your drivers now and let you know what I find.

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,565 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2011 - 01:04 PM

Manual at http://www.gigabyte.us/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3797&dl=1#manual , click the English version.

Appears that the controller automatically detects SATA drives as IDE to me, if the directions on page 26 were followed.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 13 September 2011 - 01:04 PM.

#11 .X.

.X.

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2011 - 01:18 PM

Yeah, I noticed that too.

Unfortunately, I don't see the drivers needed...

Posted Image

If you can't get it into IDE mode, I suggest you talk to Fernando 1. He's an expert with these Intel SATA drivers.

Edited by .X., 13 September 2011 - 01:19 PM.

#12 Meat Popsicle

Meat Popsicle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2011 - 01:21 PM

Manual at http://www.gigabyte.us/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3797&dl=1#manual , click the English version.

Appears that the controller automatically detects SATA drives as IDE to me, if the directions on page 26 were followed.

Louis

That would explain why the XP install on my other machine (which also used a very similar Gigabyte motherboard and SATA hard drive) worked just fine.

Unfortunately it leaves me even more puzzled as to why the install on the new machine isn't working. I was assuming it was a SATA/IDE problem, because I read of so many other people having the same problem installing XP on SATA drives, with literally the same Stop error message. But for most of those people, slipstreaming drivers/service packs fixed their problem, while for me it hasn't helped so far (unless I'm doing it wrong).

#13 Meat Popsicle

Meat Popsicle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2011 - 01:29 PM

SP2? Why? You should slipstream SP3! You should also integrate all post SP3 updates. They are available at my website http://xdot.tk/updates.html by running the UDC script. Just download them and add them to the Hotfix, Add-ons and Update Packs section of nLite. If you want to slipstream IE8 just follow the instructions under Internet Explorer 8.

Well, I downloaded SP3 and the related updates from your website as you recommended. I'll give it a try slipstreaming all that with a fresh copy; I don't see what it can hurt to try again, but from what is being said it doesn't seem that SATA drivers should be needed with this board. Is it possible that I've got a bad hard drive? It's brand new, never been used.

Thanks everyone for all your help so far, I appreciate the effort.

#14 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,565 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2011 - 01:41 PM

Well...hard drives do arrive DOA every day...so the usage really has nothing to do with whether it's failing or not.

The only real way to find out is to run the appropriate hard drive diagnostic, downloadable from the website of the hard drive manufacturer.

Free Hard Drive Testing Tools - Hard Drive Diagnostics - http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/tp/tophddiag.htm

When you try to install Windows...you are doing it on a hard drive minus partitions of any sort, correct?

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 13 September 2011 - 01:42 PM.

#15 .X.

.X.

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2011 - 01:43 PM

If the hard drive test passes, talk to Fernando 1. He'll get you going.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users