Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cataloging products....

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 scurvychef

scurvychef

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 AM

Posted 12 September 2011 - 11:00 PM

hi all!

Here's the run down: I am an avid seller on ebay and half.com. I used craigslist rarely (because of lack of success and vulnerability to hackers). I am hoping to expand my sales by adding a website with collector cards of many varieties. I have sports, magic, pokemon, comic cards, ect. I like the coverage that ebay gives you but the listing fees will kill me if I continue to list low dollar items. besides that it is too time consuming and inefficient. Ideally, I would like to learn more about html listings and link my website to ebay.

The problem with this: I have never created a website before. A web designing friend suggested I find a program that converts a database into a catalog interface. (I use libre office: so that makes it easier to convert to a format compatible with servers)

I dont mind doing anything myself even if it involves learning. I just don't know where to start. the same friend offered me shared server space. so i dont need a server.

my computer is running Ubuntu 11.04 if that matters. and I need the site to support 1,000s of pictures. I also dont mind spending SOME money on the site. since it will be linked to ebay I dont think a domain is necessary. do you?

Thanks. any input is appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 AM

Posted 13 September 2011 - 07:08 AM

Creating a web page is one thing. The web is full of pages designed by 12 year olds. Creating a web page that looks professional, instills confidence in the consumer, and provides a good user experience is a completely different skill set. A poorly designed site will hurt your business. A poorly implemented site will be painful to keep updated, and creating a dynamic site is more than just HTML.

since it will be linked to ebay I dont think a domain is necessary. do you?

First, how are you going to create a link to your site with no domain? Where is the website going to be hosted? Do you think a consumer is going to trust a supplier that appears too cheap to even get their own domain?

Hire someone to build your site, or figure out a new marketing strategy.

#3 scurvychef

scurvychef
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 AM

Posted 13 September 2011 - 10:55 AM

*by domain I just meant www.mysite.com instead of www.wix.com/mysite/in/otherdirectory/in/some/random/server.

I will have a hyper link enabled for ebay shoppers. So it isnt like I need to have a Simple site name?

#4 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 AM

Posted 13 September 2011 - 11:18 AM

Do however you choose. As a consumer, I am going to have more faith buying a product from 'www.buymycards.com' than I am www.somewhere_else.com/hosted/pages/buymycards. Where the page is hosted is irrelevant. What the consumer sees as a link is relevant. That is all I am trying to say.

The last point I want to stress is that going down the path of doing this yourself can be a detriment to your business and end up costing you in the long run. Anybody that does this for a living will tell you that it takes years to learn how to do create an effective web presence.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users